Wednesday, 9 November 2011

The kitchen

I am really excited to finally be able to share our kitchen with you! This is probably the room that has changed the most overall and I think it's the most important room of the house.
Before:
Meh kitchen

After:
Our kitchen

Looking at those two photos next to each other has amazed me. Wow. As you can see, we have added A LOT more storage space to the kitchen! We removed the horrible old boiler that was just wasting space and put that upstairs in the bathroom (thank god for having a brother-in-law who is a plumber.) We also had a new window fitted that is bottom opening so it's much easier to open when it gets steamy in the kitchen. 

Our kitchen is from Ikea, we chose the Abstrakt high gloss white cupboard fronts for a minimalist look and also for ease of cleaning (no nooks or crannies for the dirt to hide in!) I had my heart set on a wooden worktop, although at one point we did nearly get a laminate worktop. However, when we found out that they would take longer to arrive we instantly chose a wooden one instead! We chose the Numerar birch wood (again down to our impatience because the cheaper version wasn't in stock, but we prefer this one anyway). We had two joiners fit it rather than the Ikea installation people as they wanted the same price as the whole kitchen cost! Very, very expensive.. We were on a tight budget here! My Dad tiled the kitchen with some tiles we saw in Topps Tiles for £5 a sheet and then found online for £3.50 a sheet. I always recommend looking online for things you've found in shops when doing up a house - it's always cheaper because they don't have the overheads of running a shop. 

Here are a few more photos and details:

Our kitchen 

Typhoon Ching-He Huang storage jars

Our kitchen 

Laura Ashley owl utensil owl, Joseph Joseph worktop protector & biscuit tin (gift)

Our kitchen 

My kitchenaid 

Our kitchen

The hob.

Our kitchen

Tea & coffee making area

Our kitchen

Kenwood k-mix yellow kettle, bodum cafetiere & ikea tea tray.

I love our new kitchen, I haven't baked a cake in it yet though but I think I will have to this weekend to christen it fully now that we are all settled in. I hope you all love it as much as I do!

37 comments:

  1. You are right, the kitchen is 100% the most important room in any home! It looks lovely, congratulations. Baking your first cake will feel amazing!

    We have the same tray, you've got to love a good Ikea bargain.

    Cait x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Helen, you can come & do my kitchen anytime! I *love* yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it looks absolutely amazing! like, wow. kudos on the plumber relative - that must have saved a fortune. can you decorate my house when i get one please? ;o) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that's just gorgeous! Wish our kitchen was as neat and funky! Jen x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Helen, I love it! I adore the grey and yellow together, and love the white finish on the cupboards. We have wooden worktops too and although they were a pain to sand down and seal recently they don't show the muck nearly as much as any other surfaces we've had before! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the kitchen, it's beautiful - although I would say that because we have the exact same one!!! Great minds think alike.

    Gorgeous finishing touches aswell!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, it's stunning! Love the high gloss finish and you can never have too much storage space in a kitchen. Ours is massive but hardly any cupboards, if we owned it I'd love to do a redesign.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! I love seeing before and after shots - so wish we'd done it at our house as our kitchen was basically brick on the inside! haha. Gorgeous kitchen and it looks so immaculate. Mega jealous! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its gorgeous! I have some serious kitchen envy! I love the colourful accessories you have choosen :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The kitchen is definitely the most important room in a home and yours is gorgeous! I love how slick the cupboards are but they're balanced with the warm wooden worktop and colourful accessories. Lucky you for having a plumber in the family too! Hope you have lots of fun making cakes in your new kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving the new look of the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow you have done such a good job! I'm so impressed! I'm moving into my own new house in 5 weeks! me and my fiance are soo excited ! :o) xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job on the kitchen, it looks amazing. It looks so spacious a clean, perfect for baking and such.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh it's absolutely gorgeous, such a transformation! well done :) definitely the most important room in the house , cannot wait to see your first cake in your new kitchen :) x

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks absolutely perfect! Great job.x

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is one gorgeous kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your kitchen is gorgeous! I just love everything about it. It must be so nice as well to look around it and remember all the hard work everyone put in to get it perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow it came out great!! :D I love the high gloss cupboards they look really smart! Enjoy baking away in there! :)

    Kc

    http://a-sparkley-silver-lining.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, you've both done such a great job! I'm in love with those tiles- they're such a pretty shade and shape. And your appliances are adorable!! Love the retro kettle :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks stunning, such a big difference! x

    ReplyDelete
  21. It looks fab hun, enjoy baking in it.

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Resources like the bromide you mentioned here will be absolutely advantageous to me! I last wishes as register a tie-up to this page on my blog. I am sure my visitors will locate that very much useful.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks fantastic and definitely worth the hard work! I'm sure you'll be baking lots of amazing cakes in there.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Could've sworn I left a comment here but don't see it. Just wanted to say that the kitchen looks fabulous! You guys did such a great job, and I love all your choices. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow! it looks really excellent!! congratulations and well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very cute! You really brought it up to home status :)

    Just wondering, what is that large appliance on the right? Is that a dishwasher?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow that looks amazing. We've just had our kitchen refitted but to be honest, I'm really not happy with it. We've lost a lot of cupboard space and I feel a bit lost around it even after three weeks. I rent my house so it was my landlords choice and it does look better than my old kitchen but I would have done a complete redesign had I been able to do it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! It looks AMAZING! I'm jealous! There really isn't anything quite like a nice kitchen.

    Victoria - VIPXO - http://www.vipxo.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow! Your kitchen looks amazing, what a change!
    And I am very jealous of your Kitchenaid mixer, I want one so badly - one day!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Well done, this looks really nice! Love the yellow kettle : )

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anon - that is our washing machine. I would love a dishwasher but we just don't have room for one!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Looks absolutely brilliant!! Love the tiles especially xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow, congrats on getting your kitchen done :) I LOVE it - we put the same units into our old house, just saving up to do the same to this house, they are so lovely & look so much more expensive than they are x

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love the new look of your kitchen! I'd love some of those sorts of vintage looking jars and things. Our boiler is in the bedroom (it used to be the kitchen) which sucks majorly! xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. When can I come and live in your house? ;) The kitchen is really beautiful(and your house anyway). You did a very good job with the colour of the cabinet and the grey tiles. My kitchen looks almost the same, but always hated the tiles. Now I've got an inspiration by your tiles.

    ReplyDelete
  36. the colour accents against the white is so strong. a lovely place to spend a sunday morning baking up a storm!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails