Tuesday, 22 November 2011

Nutella cupcakes

Nutella cupcakes

Nutella cupcakes

These are my favourite cupcakes ever. I am such a big nutella fan, I could easily eat a jar of it in one sitting. I go through phases of being obsessed with peanut butter and nutella, at the moment I am on a nutella kick. I made my first cake in our new kitchen but it was a cake for my brother-in-law to thank him for helping us move stuff and doing some plumbing. Whilst the oven was preheated and I was in the baking frame of mind, I also whipped up a batch of these nutella cupcakes. These were the first cupcakes I made out of the hummingbird bakery book, over 2 years ago now! That book is still my favourite recipe book for cakes, I think I have almost memorised the vanilla and chocolate cupcake recipe off by heart. 

Ingredients (Makes 12 cupcakes)

100g plain flour

20g cocoa powder

140g caster sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
a pinch of salt
40g butter, at room temp.
120ml milk (the recipe said whole milk, but I just used semi and they turned out okay!)
1 egg
120g nutella
 hazelnuts to decorate



Method



1. Preheat the oven to gas 3/170c/325f

2. Put the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a bowl and mix together. You can use an electric hand whisk for this. It should be a slightly sandy/grainy texture

3. Pour the milk into the mixture and mix. Then add the egg and beat until it's all incorporated.

4. Spoon the mixture into cupcakes cases in a muffin tin, filling to about halfway or 2/3 full. They rise quite a bit. Bake for 15-20 minutes.

5. Leave to cool completely, then cut out a little circle in the cupcake. Pop the loose piece of cake out, insert a dollop of nutella, then put the cake piece back ontop so you have a filled cupcake.



For the icing



250g icing sugar

80g butter, at room temp

25 ml milk
80g nutella



Mix all the above ingredients together until incorporated and continue mixing for about 5 minutes. The more mixing, the fluffier the icing! Use a palette knife to ice the cupcakes, then decorate with a hazelnut. Enjoy!


22 comments:

  1. Wow they look amazing and i bet theytaste it too.I might treat myself tomaking a batch over christmas x

    ReplyDelete
  2. jesus these look good! i can't ever copy that recipe though because i know i will never stop making them and i will get fat :( my bf is lactose intolerant which means i'm basically screwed when it comes to cakes and sweets! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I could so make a vegan version of these using Justins Chocolate Hazelnut butter which is like crack! They look beautiful :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm exactly the same! I go through periods of being obsessed with Nutella and peanut butter and can often be found eating Nutella with a spoon...
    Might have to try making these
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my word these look amazing! I was making Hummingbird Bakery red velvet cupcakes last week and they were AMAZING xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm stuck on my three ingredient nutella brownies, but I must branch out and try these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look so naughty but an absolute must! mmmm :o) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funnily enough, despite being a complete nutella lover, I haven't tried that recipe (I got a bit stuck on the banana and chocolate cupcakes!) Definitely something I must try. By the way I made beetroot brownies last night using a recipe I found on your blog. They are so moist! A bit of a crazy colour too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute! x hivenn p.s enter my $200 shopbop giveaway?

    ReplyDelete
  10. these look so yummy, might make these but replace nutella with sainsburys chocolate orange spread for a bit of a twist xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness, I could so do with one of those right now! Maybe I'll just have to make do with some nutella...off to raid the cupboards with spoon in hand!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look so cute and sound delicious! I love nutella too; who doesn't?

    ReplyDelete
  13. yum yum yum, the nuts on top are such a nice touch. So cute. My friend made me cola cupcakes last week with fizzy cola bottles on top, they were so good. Will ask her for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow, I love nutella and I love cakes so I must try these! x

    ReplyDelete
  15. these look lovely! I once tried a lazt nutella marble cake, wish I had the ingredients to put these together this evening!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum that recipe looks so easy!! I happen to have nutella in my cupboard at the moment too....hmmm, I think this was meant to be!! :D

    Kc

    http://a-sparkley-silver-lining.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are so cute- and they look absolutely delicious! I'll have to try the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. the hummingbird recipe is so foolproof, love it and LOVE nutella! such cute photos of the cakes too
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love Nutella so much, I have to physically restrain myself from eating an entire jar, I think I will be ,making these very soon! :)

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh good god, I am SO making these!! I polished off the last of my Nutella the other day, it was devastating. Must buy some more!
    Thanks for your lovely comment on my hat :D
    x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails