Thursday, 12 January 2012

The bedroom

We've finally finished the bedroom! It had been finished and habitable for a long time but over the Christmas holidays we hung up some pictures and got our dressing table which was just the cherry on the cake. Let's have a quick look at some before photos:

Master bedroom Master bedroom

Master bedroom

Magnolia, magnolia and more magnolia! Also only single glazing and a really dodgy panic alarm button which we got rid of. Also look at how badly painted the bedroom door is! The flooring was also in a real state too, splodges of paint everywhere.

We decided on a grey and mustard colour scheme quite easily and worked around Scott's bed and wardrobe also (which are Ikea Malm & Complement)

Bedroom

Bedroom

This is our new dressing table, the Edland from Ikea (yes, we have LOTS of Ikea, mainly because of our budget and also their tendency to make nice things. We try to mix it up with second hand stuff too though so it isn't too much). I like the shape of the legs a lot although it doesn't really provide too much storage. It fills in what was an empty gap though rather nicely and the dark grey complements all our other shades of grey.

Bedroom 

Bedroom

I love the cast iron fire surround. We repainted it and also painted the hearth stone which was so grubby and dull. The mirror above the fireplace was in my old bedroom, it was a fiver from a local charity shop. The owl and deer were also charity shop finds.

Bedroom

We went for the tord boontje habitat light which has been a nightmare to dust as my friend warned me! My Mum & Sister hate it and call it a 'cobweb' but I love it. 

Bedroom

We treated ourselves to the Orla Kiely pillowcases but just matched them with some mustard sheets from M&S and an Ikea throw.

Bedroom

This is my view from the bed. You might remember the chest of drawers from this blog post, I repainted them myself and really like them.

Bedroom

And on top of the chest of drawers is a photo of us from my sister's wedding.

Bedroom

These are the photos that Scott hung over the holidays, they are Henri Cartier-Bresson prints, Scott's favourite photographer.

We painted the floorboards with Ronseal Diamond Hard floor paint, because we decided that hiring a floor sander would be so messy (we had an electric sander we used in other rooms and were hoovering up dust for weeks) and also the floor boards weren't perfect and some had been replaced quite obviously with wider boards, but we didn't want to cover them up completely. I really like the painted floorboards but we want a nice rug to go by the radiator in the photo above, but haven't found the right one yet. I hope you like our bedroom, it's been nice combining our two styles in a way. Some of my family have been almost shocked by our colour decisions (so much grey!), thinking that I would choose girlier colours and prints, but I think this room is a nice balance of both our personalities. 

44 comments:

  1. Absolutely LOVE it!!! I loooooove "Before and after" posts and yours are always great! your bedroom is the perfect nest, I love everything!!!! well done!!
    http://purrfectkat.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh I love all of these posts. Your room looks amazing, just as I would like my bedroom when I have a house. It's perfect!

    Love the before and after shots. I'm so jealous of these projects, I would die to have my own house right now and do something like this.

    I really love the light! That was the one thing that grabbed me straight away. Such an usual piece.

    Great interior inspiration! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely and it's really you! You're lucky that you pretty much had a blank canvas to work with. Particularly love the floor and the dressing table. Really adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to see some pics of your house! :) I love the colour scheme you chose. I can't wait till I finally have my house sorted and can blog some pics too!

    Kc

    http://a-sparkley-silver-lining.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it and absolutely love the light! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You two did a great job! I am really inspired. It's lovely and peaceful. and my hearth stone is grubby too and I'd never thought about painting it for some reason...now I just might :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Painting the hearth stone has really improved it I think! We just used a multi purpose black paint that could be used on stone or metal, one small tin did the fire surround and the stone.

      Delete
  7. Ooh so lovely! Really love these posts from you! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Orla Kiely pillowcases are so cute - I really wanted the kitchen storage containers in that pattern but they were sold out when my boyfriend went to buy me them for Christmas! :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - it's gorgeous. I LOVE the colour scheme and all the furniture you've chosen. It's beautiful! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alice! I didn't really have much choice with the furniture as Scott already had the bed and wardrobe and they probably wouldn't be my first choice, but I think they work quite well with the colours.

      Delete
  10. It looks gorgeous, I love the grey and mustard combo too, and the pillow cases. Like how you've mixed up the ikea stuff with second hand buys for a bit more character :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. so glad you mentioned that floor paint! my mum wont hire a sander because of the mess but painting the floor in my bedroom would be cheaper then putting laminate down and look much better.

    Love it all!
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I REALLY recommend that paint! We also used the white in the back bedroom. It is £30 for a pot which seems expensive for paint but is a lot less than new flooring or sanding it! It gives a really nice smooth finish too and feels quite warm, not cold at all.

      Delete
  12. Oh wow! It looks fantastic! I absolutely love posts like this with before and after shots!
    Love the painted floorboards and that gorgeous fireplace :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahh it's so lovely! I never would have thought of grey for walls but it really works, love it!

    Also thanks for that frugal tip of buying expensive pillowcases to go with cheaper bedding - genius! Totally going to do that!! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE the grey! And that light though I can see how it would be a pain to clean. Your house is looking so great!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's lovely! I have the same light fitting from Habitat. I bought two and twiddled them together to get a right ole chandelier look to it. It is the biggest nightmare to dust so I don't bother! It's in my kitchen and every now and then I waft a feather duster over it just to show willing (I'm very comfortable with mediocrity when it comes to house cleaning)! I love the idea of expensive pillowcases and matched inexpensive bedding, a fab idea. Em x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we hung it up we thought that we ought to have bought two to get a really big light fitting! Good idea. Unfortunately then the habitat in Liverpool closed down :(

      Delete
  16. It looks stunning, you should be really pleased.

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's wonderful! You have done an amazing job.x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the room, the dressing table is so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely space! I'm hoping to move house soon and you're giving some interior design inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an amazing improvement from your before pictures. I really like the color scheme you've chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow this looks amazing! I am really jealous. All the colours compliment each other well, you two have good taste :)
    The fireplace is my favourite part! I love it! You've done a wonderful job!

    Kyrie x
    idreamgames.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks lovely! I really like the light x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ah your room looks amazing - you've done such a great job! My boyfriend and I are getting a house together in the next few months and the prospect of decorating it is extremely exciting but also so daunting - I won't know where to start! May have to save your pics for inspiration! x

    ReplyDelete
  24. you've got such great taste! I love the turquoise chest of drawers :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your bedroom looks stunning. That colour scheme is a dream; would never have thought of choosing it for a bedroom, but it looks SO relaxing. Lovely!
    And that lampshade is just so beautiful. Worth any hassle to dust, I'm sure.
    Z xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your bedroom! You always seem to mix brights with neutrals in your outfits so it makes perfect sense to me that you would pair the bright pops of yellow with grey. Plus, you can't really make the whole house girly and floral when sharing it with a guy. I can only imagine that that light fixture is a pain to dust, but it's so pretty! I love the shadows it creates. I think you'll find a fab rug to make the room perfect. It's nice to have some cushy textures underfoot in a bedroom. Are you going to hang any artwork over the bed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! One of my friends did comment that every room seems to use my favourite colours to wear: blue, red & yellow! Hehe. We did think of hanging something over the bed but haven't found anything yet. I quite want to hang something over the dressing table too, maybe something quite bright.

      Delete
  27. It's wonderful!iI love your bedroom looks amazing........

    ReplyDelete
  28. It looks great Helen! We have a lot of Ikea stuff but we also mix it up with second hand things. Love that Habitat light as well! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh Helen, you're bedroom is beautiful, the lamp and the furniture :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love it! Simple, yet elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  31. It loooks great! I especially love the habitat light.

    Love Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  32. You've done such an amazing job! How could anyone hate that light, it's so beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  33. It's nice to have you back!
    Your bedroom looks amazing I am so impressed! I love that you just got the posh pillow cases and saved money with matching sheets, so clever.
    I also love the huge black mirror, and your DIY drawers! I've just moved in to another flat with my fella and this post really makes me want to get sanding and painting.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  34. Fabulous job! I love it!

    http://adelejoanna.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh Helen it's beautiful. So stylish! I especially like that stunning light fitting. Dust bedamned - it's far too pretty not to own.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh! I love your color scheme and the boontje. I've wanted one for a long time, but I never though what it might be like to dust. Still, it's beautiful.

    xoxo jen @ stuffjendid

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow! It looks wonderful, I would love to have a bedroom like this :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love the grey and mustard together so much! I seriously love your house- I wish you could come and consult on mine. We've been here almost a year and we've just completely lost any momentum we might've had. You're such an inspiration! @nickohlaa <3

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails