Sunday, 29 January 2012

Beetroot tart tatin

Beetroot tart tatin

Beetroot tart tatin

This was our dinner on Tuesday, it was so delicious. I'm a rather big fan of beetroot, in the past few years I've been eating it more and more. I picked up these baby beetroot from the farmer's market on Allerton Road and knew instantly that they would be perfect for this tart tatin recipe from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's River Cottage Veg Everyday.



We are not vegetarian at all and do enjoy our meat dishes but we, like Hugh, have been trying to eat less meat lately for a variety of reasons. It's nice to have more variety and not centre meals around meat. It's also better for the environment, cheaper and healthier. I've adapted this recipe slightly and increased the quantities too because we have a bigger frying pan. If you have puff pastry in your freezer, this is such a quick & easy meal to make. 

Ingredients

400g baby beetroot
2 tbsp sherry vinegar (or any other nice vinegar really, Hugh F-W suggests cider)
2 tbsp demerara sugar
Olive oil
Knob of butter
One sheet of ready-rolled puff pastry 

1. Pre-heat your oven to 180c/gas mark 5.
1. Scrub the beetroot and take the roots off and slice them in half. 
2. Heat up a large pan that can go in the oven (no plastic handles!) and melt the knob of butter and add the olive oil. Then add the vinegar and sugar and mix until the sugar dissolves. 
3. Add the beetroot to the pan and fry gently in the sauce. Then cover with foil and place in the oven for 30-40 minutes, or until the beetroot is nice and tender.
4. When the beetroot is tender and juicy, cover the pan with the rolled out puff pastry, cutting off any excess and tucking the pastry around the beetroot to cover it.
5. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until the pastry has puffed up nicely and turned golden brown.
6. Remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly, then place a plate upside down on the pan and flip the pan over to turn the tart out onto the place.

This was seriously delicious. We ate our tart with some sweet potato wedges but it'd be nice in the summer with some salad too. We've just bought some golden beetroot from the Lark Lane farmers market and we're going to try it with those this week. The vinegar and sugar creates a lovely sweet sauce for the beetroot and the pastry is perfect because it doesn't go soggy like sometimes when you make a traditional tart.

Are you a veggie or willing to embrace veggie food? 

18 comments:

  1. This does look rather delicious - I've seen so many bloggers making delicious things out of this book, I might just have to get it for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE beetroot. That looks amazing!

    x Michelle | thefeatherden.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is exactly my kind of food!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good tart tatin, never thought of using beetroot though. It looks so lovely, like big purple jewels :)

    Katie xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. That not only sound divine but looks it too. I love beetroot and do a great beetroot salad.

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh this sounds lovely! I've been eating stacks of beetroot lately :)

    I've been veggie (and vegan too, sometimes!) for 15 years and I've NEVER cooked with beetroot! I think this needs to change asap!x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks amazing, I love beetroot (especially homegrown!)

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yum! I bought my dad this book for christmas and I have so loved the meals in it. I'm not veggie, but like you say it is so nice to have the variety!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My boyfriend is veggie (I'm not) so we tend to eat vegetarian meals mostly. Before I met him I thought dinner was centred around meat, but it's so easy to make tasty veggie dishes! This looks really nice x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not a full on veggie but I do find that I'm more drawn to dishes like this than something like, say, pot roast most of the time, which is good I think. It keeps life interesting, you know? The only thing I couldn't do is go permanently vegan, I would miss my butter and cheese too much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so tasty, and really easy to do as well. I love beetroot but I never really know what to do with it, will definitely have to try this!
    I'm not a vegetarian but at least 2 or 3 nights a week I usually have meat-free meals. It's nice to have a bit of variety and try out different recipes, although I don't think I could ever give up meat completely!

    Gillian x
    elevatormusik.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was eyeing up that recipe too, I have some pastry in my freezer too, I'm just waiting for the right occasion to make it. Its great that Hugh is raising more awareness that veggie recipes can be delicious and satisfying too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks so delicious - colourful too and I love tarte tatin but I'd never have thought to use beetroot. I love it but tend to only have beetroot as an accompaniment or in a salad - must try this - Thanks!

    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks YUMMY. We're veggie and I'll definitely be trying out this one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oooh how lovely! Beetroot is one of my faves, I ate at a veggie place a few weeks ago and had veggie risotto x

    ReplyDelete
  16. that made no sense, beetroot risotto!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've got this book and really fancy trying this. I love beetroot and have just eaten a beetroot pizza made using a recipe from the same book. It's something I would never think of putting on pizza, but it's amazing! I did a post on it the last time I made it:

    http://rubee-rubee.blogspot.com/2012/01/homemade-pizza.html

    xx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails