Wednesday, 18 January 2012

Cuthberts Bakehouse, Liverpool

One of the most popular google searches that leads to my blog is 'cupcake shop Liverpool', which no doubt leads to an old post of mine bemoaning the fact that there is nowhere to get good cake in Liverpool. However, things are slowly changing and I don't need to drop out of being a librarian in order to provide the good people of Liverpool with nice cupcakes as other people are doing it for me.

Cuthberts Bakehouse opened last year, just after I finished my MA at the Uni across the road from it. Typical. Although some might say it is a good thing because I would spend too much money in there and end up the size of a house. I had been meaning to try it for ages but it isn't really somewhere I walk past often now. However on Saturday I decided we would go and try it.

How cute does it look?! This adorable illustration is by Becka Griffin, a lovely scouse illustrator. (I really want one of her bespoke house portraits of our house *hint hint*)


DSC02211

I ordered a Mr Whippy cupcake, the frosting was so so light & delicious. I love the idea of squirting raspberry sauce on top of a vanilla cupcake, I want to try this myself now. I would use a flake instead of a chocolate finger but maybe they had ran out of chocolate flakes or something. The cake was nice and not dry, but I prefer a lighter sponge. I suppose it is all personal preference though.

DSC02212

DSC02213

DSC02214

Scott was very traditional and ordered a cream tea with the biggest scone I've ever seen and some Brew Scouser's Breakfast tea. The scone was still slightly warm and so delicious and soft. Perfect!

I will certainly be going back to Cuthberts, it was a lovely relaxing cafe. It isn't in the main shopping part of the city centre so it has a slightly more sophisiticated and relaxed feel than many of the coffee shops around Liverpool One which become far too frantic for my liking on a Saturday afternoon. Plus, where else can you get so many different homebaked treats?! They have a wide range of cupcakes that I want to try and also do traditional cakes like Victoria sponge, Bakewell tart and coffee & walnut cake. The rocky road also looked amazing. We had a hot drink and cake each and it came to about £7, which I think is really good compared to your typical high street chain and the quality is far superior too. 

Cuthberts Bakehouse 
103 Mount Pleasant, Liverpool, L3 5TB

20 comments:

  1. Well, this has made me very hungry haha! Cute little place. Love the idea of a Mr Whippy cupcake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cupcake looks fantastic. Love the menu too, Gingerbread Chai Latte would be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i go knitting here every tuesday!! I LOVE IT THERE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i work in liverpool science park just up the road, and tend to use cuthbert's to curry favour around the office. ;) last time i went they had a super blueberry one with dolly mixtures on top which was ah-maz-ing. they also have a loyalty card which gives you every 6th cupcake for free - hurray! i <3 the place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a proper cream tea craving now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never been to Liverpool but that cupcake alone is enough to make me want to go there! I just stumbled across your blog and I love it - you have a new follower lovely lady :D

    Cat xxx
    http://www.takecourageblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a lovely place!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was my favourite place to get cakes in Liverpool! I love their scones, it's so quaint and cosy too! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum that cupcake looks pretty good!! I made a special trip to Queenstown to visit a cupcake shop there recently (about a 40 minute drive from where I was staying over Christmas, or 2 hours from my house!) it's the only one anywhere near me! One day I'll have my oen cake shop and I'll never have to travel that far for cake :)

    Kc

    a-sparkley-silver-lining.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah thanks so much for the mention there Helen! I love Cuthberts, Matt and Elaine (the owners) are a lovely couple too!

    Becka x

    ReplyDelete
  11. This place looks lovely, and I love the idea of an ice cream cupcake! There are a couple of bakeries near me that I've been meaning to try out for ages, really must get round to it!

    Gillian x
    elevatormusik.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooooh I've never even heard of this place - sounds yummy, will definitely have to check it out soon! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. The building looks so cute- I love old-fashioned shopfronts :) It must have been hard choosing just one thing off the menu- everything sounds delicious! The Mr Whippy cupcake looks divine though, what a scrumptious concept!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG that cupcake is so precious!!
    ~Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  15. yum, this place looks amazing! we definitely need a cupcake place like this in dundee! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my that cupcake looks amazing, I'd totally want to try this place if I ever venture up to Liverpool. I love the idea of raspberry sauce on the cupcake too. Perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh yum, that looks delicious! So glad Liverpool is learning how important a good teashop is!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aw it sounds absolutely delightful :D I'm coming to Liverpool in April so I hope to visit this lovely place.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails