Tuesday, 7 February 2012

Apple cake

Apple cake

Apple cake

Urgh, February is being a drag already isn't it? It has become comfort food central for me, after the healthy eating of January goes out of the window. I love warm desserts in the winter and there is nothing better than the combination of apple & cinnamon. 

Apple cake

Apple cake

When I was asked by Baking Mad to try out a recipe of theirs, I toyed with some cupcake recipes but instead decided that a nice stodgy cake was what I was in the mood for so looked at the cake recipes and found this recipe for Bramley Apple Cake. It's a really easy tray bake that was yummy straight from the cake tin or even better the day after covered in loads of custard. 

The recipe itself was really easy - just throw everything into the bowl and mix! The most fiddly part was preparing the apples. I didn't have any bramley apples so just made do with some cox's I had lurking in the fridge waiting to be used. I am sure it will be even more delicious with bramley apple's and some cinnamon mixed in with the sugar sprinkled on top. 

Ingredients

3 apples
1 tbsp lemon juice 
225g butter, softened
4 eggs
350g self raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
225 golden caster sugar
Demerara sugar to sprinkle
  1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/350F.Gas mark 4.
  2. Grease and line a rectangular 27cm x 20cm baking tin with parchment paper.
  3. Peel, core and slice the apples into a bowl. Add the lemon juice and set aside until ready to use.
  4. Place the butter, caster sugar, eggs, flour and baking powder into a large bowl and beat until smooth and fluffy.
  5. Spoon half the cake mixture into the prepared tin and top with the apples. Spoon over the remaining mixture.
  6. Sprinkle with the Demerara sugar.
  7. Bake for 45-50 minutes until golden brown and springy to the touch. Leave to cool before turning on to a cooling rack and cutting into squares to serve.
There are so many yummy recipes on the Baking Mad website that I want to try now, including the key lime cupcakes recipe, yum. There is also currently a competition on the website to win a gorgeous Kenwood stand mixer! 

PS. This is a sponsored post. 

18 comments:

  1. Oh yummy, I am a BIG fan of apple cake so I've bookmarked this for future baking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NOMNOM this is amazing. i live apple pie but my bf is lactose intolerant which kills me. i can't made cakes unless i eat them all myself and then i'd put on 20pounds in no time! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apple and cinnamon is one of my favourite cake combinations and this looks delicious! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks beautiful! And I think I have all the ingrediants in my cupboard so I'll have to make one for my mother.
    I'm not allowed any, because I've just out myself on a healthy eating plan. Hehe.

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cake looks yummy and I love the shots of your kitchen. I always go to your blog for librarian fashion tips! Great post, keep them coming :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a nice warming recipe, perfect for all the cold weather we are having. Looks like it would feed a lot of people too, great if you have visitors over xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH my goodness, this looks AMAZING!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. That apple cake looks all kinds of delicious & I have a funny feeling that I will be trying it out SOON.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks delicious :) And it's not exactly unhealthy considering it's got apples as an ingredient! hehe. Love your 'In My Liverpool Home' mug btw, very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUMMMM! Any fruit & cinnamon combo is always good! I made a banana loaf the other day that definitely warmed me up. This looks gorgeous Helen! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Omg, that looks SO GOOD. You just can't beat a bowl of cake and custard, mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks delicious, I love apple pie but can never be bothered faffing around with pastry, will have to give this recipe a try. I totally agree about February being the month of comfort food, I have given up on all ideas of healthy eating and just made a batch of double chocolate brownies!

    Gillian x
    elevatormusik.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow, looks like the perfect February pick me up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am going to have to try this when I get some more apples!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness, I want to eat this now! I love custard and anything apple-flavoured. So yummy. I need to make this one day too...saving that recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. mu oh my, that looks so yumy! i've pinned this recepie on to pinterest! Might give it a try soon!! thanks for sharing! xx Alice Barton ♥ The Mow Way

    ReplyDelete
  17. this looks delicious, apple and cinnamon is the best combination! x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've just made this tonight - it was so good, thanks for sharing! I added a teaspoon of cinnamon to the mix as well. Makes SO much cake though! We will be eating it for days!x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails