Wednesday, 15 February 2012

The dining room: before and after

I finally got round to taking photos of our dining room to share. Yet again, this room was a blank canvas (read: boring magnolia) so we decided to do this room teal with some statement wallpaper. We also had new laminate flooring fitted as the quality of the old laminate wasn't very good and it had really been battered as it's such a high traffic area from the front of the house to the kitchen. We also ripped out the ugly fireplace as we figured it would just get in the way of the dining table and we'd never really use it anyway. The whole room was covered in lining paper and scraping it all off was probably the hardest bit. We painted underneath the stairs with blackboard paint, we use it as a meal planner and also for shopping lists. 

Dining room

Dining room

Dining room 

 During:
  Blackboard wall

Dining room

Dining room

After
Dining room

Our dining room table was an eBay bargain, only £33! It also came with 6 chairs, 4 of which we use in the dining room and the other 2 are in the bedrooms upstairs. The table is originally from Ikea and could do with  sanding down and re-varnishing but I think that can be a project for the summer. The bench was a bargain at  £3 (I posted about it here) and it comes in really handy for when we have friends around and want to squeeze more people round the table. 

Dining room

We decided to take the kitchen door off it's hinges so the dining room and kitchen flowed nicely. Our wallpaper is Amy Butler for Graham & Brown, temple tulips in azure.  However, we luckily snagged a roll for just £8 on eBay, so it's always worth checking eBay for wallpaper before shelling out full price. 

Dining room

We've only recently hung this print up but I think it really makes the room. The chimney breast just looked bear with nothing on it and Scott had bought this print from Tugboat Printshop a while ago but we couldn't decide on the right home for it. The tugboat printshop is amazing, everything is made by hand carved woodblocks. This one is called 'big bad wolf'.

Dining room

Dining room

The mirror is also a recent addition, I picked it up for £1 at a carboot sale in August but we only hung it up last weekend. The bookcase is just one that I had from my room at my Mum's, it's currently bulging with all of my teapots, cookery books and our record collection on the bottom shelf. 

Dining room

Ahhh our Kartell Fly light! We really liked the look of these but £150 seemed a bit pricey for us. Luckily Scott got this one on eBay for £30. Because we got such a bargain with the shade, we felt that we could splash out on a Plumen light bulb. (Because £20 for a light bulb is so ridiculous, even the cashier in John Lewis nearly passed out when she scanned it through and saw the price)

Dining room

These sketches were bought in Valencia exactly a year ago. My Grandparents are from Valencia and we were visiting to celebrate my Tia's 90th birthday. (You can see my post about it here) It is such a nice city and these two sketches are of some of the highlights of the city: the market and cathedral & the train station and bull ring. They were bought off a man who was sketching them by the market for 10 euros each. 

I hope you all love our dining room as much as we do. You can look back at my posts on the bedroom , kitchen and living room and also the whole house Flickr photo set here. You can gradually see in the flickr set that the house has become more and more colourful! 

46 comments:

  1. Wow, what a transformation. You guys have one so much!!! Great dining room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks really lovely Helen. That wallpaper is beautiful and such a good find on ebay!
    Z xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. i absolutely love these posts! you've got such a good eye for detail. ever thought about becoming an interior designer? i'd hire you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I don't think I'm quite cut out for being an interior designer just yet! I would love more rooms to play with though :) Scott had a lot of input too though.

      Delete
  4. I love everything. My fiancé would never let me be that adventurous, favouring the boring magnolia!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks lovely :) I love the colour and the wallpaper!!!

    Beautiful Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my god it looks amazing! I love the colours, and the blackboard paint is such a good idea :) You've really got a beautiful little home xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks incredible, I love the blackboard paint.... so useful! I love your bargainous finds too, especially the bench and the mirror x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks absolutely incredible, would be so useful if you could do a post on your 'lessons learned' on decorating/moving and your top tips because you are clearly very good at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may do one of these soon! Thanks for the idea.

      Delete
  9. Oh wow, it looks absolutely great! And so many ebay bargains, too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love your posts about your house!
    You completely changed the look of the room.. I like the idea of the bench instead of using chairs and I love the -how do you call it in english? chest?- near the kitchen's door.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! How do you like the blackboard paint? I want to paint our kitchen cabinets with it, because I thought it would be easy to keep lists and my son is in love with chalk ATM. I'm afraid I'll love it too much, though, and it will end up in every room. I wonder if it comes in different colors...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blackboard paint is good although it's quite grubby already - I need to give it a good cleaning. i think it does come in different colours yes! I've seen pink blackboard paint.

      Delete
  12. Love it! Love the chalkboard wall, perfect space for something fun like that! Also well impressed that you braved wallpaper! I haven't got the guts yet! It looks really lovely, a perfect place to relax and eat! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wallpaper actually worked quite well, I'd love to use more in other rooms now! I was scared but Scott convinced me haha. I love pattern so it's a good way to add some to a room.

      Delete
  13. Gorgeous! I love all the bargains you've found, it just goes to show that you can still be incredibly stylish even when on more of a budget!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW I'm so impressed you've done an amazing job! I literally moved into my house in december and we've only just started getting stufff together but i cant wait to start decorating xx :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. A brilliant transformation, so much more homely and full of character. I love the colour of teal you chose. You've definitely got an eye for interior design and detail.

    ReplyDelete
  16. ow wow, this looks absolutely amazing. I love the walls: the paper, the colour and the mirror! I love it when you do these posts, they're mindblowing !

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is absolutely gorgeous - you've done a great job. x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now days I am eagerly planning to build a house for my personal needs. It is good to see the changes with your bed room. I have some thing beneficial for you and that is BobSweep Robotic Vacuum Cleaner and I can say that you will prefer to buy the one for your home.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You've done such a lovely job, well done!

    www.ma-bicyclette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your house is basically my dream house! I love your colour scheme!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your dining room looks great!! :) I love your blackboard wall and the wallpaper you chose. And that bench!! What a bargin :)

    Kc

    a-sparkley-silver-lining.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wowee! I love it. It's like something out of a magazine. Well done indeed! xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is lovely. I particularly love your retro mirror, what a bargain.

    ReplyDelete
  24. wow, that was hard work and it paid off - you have a real knack for decorating. this teal blue shade is one of my favourites in homeware stuff at the minute too!
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gorgeous! I love the teal wall!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. All the rooms in your house are so pretty. That's what is missing in my house. It still just feels like a rental property and not our home. We've been here for six and a half years now and just haven't really done anything to it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ahhh it looks so amazing!! Can't wait to have a house to do up! x

    ReplyDelete
  28. It looks so good! I know it must have been a lot of work but well worth it. It must be such a treat to eat your wonderful baked things in such a pretty setting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. This looks beautiful, I am having complete house lust here! Gorgeous!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think this is my favourite room in your new house that you've shared so far. Absolutely love the table and bench! x

    ReplyDelete
  31. That is a super impressive makeover!
    PS thanks for the lovely comments on my blog.
    Kelly @
    Elegantly Academic

    ReplyDelete
  32. The Fly Light was such a great bargain! God bless eBay.
    I absolutely love how you've done this room, especially struck by the wallpaper and the beautiful print!
    Also love the idea of meal planning on your wall. I found out today you can get paint the has a blackboard AND magentic effect! Would love a wall of that. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We looked at that blackboard/magnet paint but it had really bad reviews so we decided to stick with just blackboard paint!

      Delete
  33. The room looks stunning. Love the idea of using black board paint in one wall.

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great vision, and some fantastic finds at carboots and on eBay. Shame Tugboat is based in the US!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love how you've decorated this room, the colour scheme is perfect for the room and the wallpaper is just gorgeous! I love the alcove with the chalkboard wall too, such a great idea.

    Gillian x
    elevatormusik.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh wow! I love the before and after pictures. The blue paint is such a lovely shade and that glass light fitting is awesome. I bet it feels so great to see all your hard work come together.

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is just absolutely perfect!! I love the idea of blackboard paint, may come in handy when having kids too "you can crayon on this wall...just NONE OF THE OTHERS, or you're dead meat!" :P Did you take the door of the hinges yourself? and the wallpaper? If you don't mind me asking! :) I wouldn't even know where to begin with decorating, DIY and the likes!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow this looks amazing, such a transformation. I love the blackboard paint, I'm currently trying to think which wall I can paint with it! x

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh it looks so gorgeous! I love the teal colour xx
    Sirens and Bells

    ReplyDelete
  40. Beginner's success!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails