Sunday, 6 May 2012

Liverpool women's 10k




Today was the women's 10k in Liverpool as part of the RunLiverpool festival of running. The women's 10k has been going for over 20 years and the first 7 runners of todays races had ran every Liverpool women's 10k. Pretty amazing really! The route goes around Sefton Park and Princes Park. I wasn't hoping to beat my time for last year's Great Manchester Run, but just to finish it really.

Liverpool women's 10k

Setting off! Trying to get ahead of all the walkers, I probably spent the first 3k overtaking people because I'd joined the starting line so far back. 

Liverpool women's 10k

At the 3k point, spotting Scott. Feeling quite good at this point! 

Liverpool women's 10k

Just before the 5k point and about to go into Princes Park. 

Liverpool women's 10k

Aaand, out of the park! Very red faced and warm at this point, around Princes Park was probably the hardest bit. We set off at 12 so we were running in the mid day sun. Although it didn't feel warm at first, once you've been running for half an hour you do get a bit warm & sweaty! I had to stop and walk for a bit, but I noticed quite a few other women doing this so didn't feel too bad. Then when I got out of Princes Park I started to run again as I knew that Scott would be there with his camera at the 7k point! Then we went back into Sefton Park for the final 3k.

Liverpool women's 10k

Then, running the final few metres! The last 500m are on grass and it was quite hard, but I persevered. I knew I'd gone over an hour at this point so there was no point in aiming for a PB (not that I set out to do that anyway) so I just took it nice and easy. As you can see, the official gun time says about 1 hour 5 minutes. I'm yet to see what my official chip time says as they haven't been updated yet but my garmin said 1.03.52. Not bad!

Liverpool women's 10k

Finished and with my medal! I'll be needing a special hook to display them all on soon I think haha.

I came home and had a big nap and have just generally lazed around since. Thank god it's a bank holiday tomorrow so I'm not in work! I'm going to have a very long soak in the bath and an early night after reading some blogs I think. Oh and I need to enter the Mersey tunnel 10k too, I'm aiming to smash my PB in that one! 

20 comments:

  1. Aww well done kitten, it's so great that it has been going for over 20 years! :) it's wonderful to see people come together x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great dear, seriously wish i could have your will

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done! I feel quite tired just thinking about that run!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Done! Sounds like such a good thing to be a part of! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done!! you're lucky there are so many 10ks nearby you, where I live, there are like 2 10ks and about a million 5ks. 5k is too short!

    Can't wait to hear about your next race!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's awesome! Good for you! I'm on week 4 of the ease into 5K app and my longest stretch of running at this point is 6 minutes and I'm pushing it just to finish. lol. Very inspired by this though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Oh, heck, I can't seem to find the comment section; I'll 'reply' anyway... First of all, congratulations, and I really like your flask, it seems so practical!

      Delete
  7. Well done! That looks like a great race and the weather looks good too, glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done! If I look half as good as that at 7k, I will be happy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done you! You are such a smiley runner! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations, that is amazing!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations Helen! It's such an amazing thing to have done! You must be so proud, and you don't look worn out at all!
    Love Charlie xoxo.
    www.charlestownvintage.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! A very very well done Helen, that is amazing! I wish did things like this, you are very inspiring!
    xx
    emsipop.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well Done! I'm doing the Tunnel 10K run in June and it's my first ever race so really nervous about it - need to train lots before hand I think! You have inspired me to give it a go :)
    @coffeeandkate

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats to you!

    You really inspire me to keep persevering with running, so thank you so much for sharing your running stories!

    ReplyDelete
  15. well done!! You did so well :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Biggest congratulations on your medal, lovely! I cannot run for toffee (although I should, as I figure skate, so it's even more depressing), please do share your tips...

    http://shelovesmixtapes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Whoa, congrats!! You are awesome. :D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails