Wednesday, 16 May 2012

Mexican food at Lucha libre, Liverpool

Lucha libre

A new Mexican restaurant has recently opened in Liverpool and it's been on our 'to try' list so we decided to go this weekend when I finished work. We arrived quite early, just before 6, and it wasn't busy but by the time we left it was getting quite bustling.

Lucha libre
Modelo and tortilla chips with guacamole. I love any homemade guacamole and this was great. I wasn't so sure on the salsa as it seemed a bit too paprika-ey for my taste but Scott really liked it. 

Lucha libre

Small plate of mixed grill - yum. This consisted of chicken wings and drummers, homemade chorizo and ribs. The ribs were a bit disappointing and slightly dry but the rest of it was amazing. Not sure if maybe the ribs were dry because they seemed a bit on the skinny side, maybe meatier ribs wouldn't have gone so dry.

Lucha libre

Al Pastor taco - this is a taco with marinated belly pork and chargrilled pineapple. It was so lovely and the belly pork wasn't fatty or greasy at all, it was really fresh. 

Lucha libre

Salpicon tostada - This was my favourite I think and could have happily ate about a dozen of these. It is beef  with caramelised parsnips and carrots. One thing I noticed at Lucha libre was how fresh tasting everything was. It definitely beat any other mexican food I've ate previously.

Lucha libre

And the dessert, oh my god, the dessert. Crepes in a mexican dulce de leche style sauce (I've forgotten the name of this sauce, doh!). This was amazing, the sauce was really rich and had a hint of cinnamon to it. Perhaps could have been improved with the addition of some ice cream (cinnamon flavoured ice cream would be amazing with it). 

I think we will definitely be trying Lucha libre again - I really want to try the quesadillas and burritos. Oh and the margaritas too! 

I might have to try cooking some Mexican food at home too, especially now it's getting summerier (it's pure Summer food!) does anyone have any Mexican cookbooks or favourite recipes to share?

17 comments:

  1. Oh, wow! This all looks sooo good. Parsnips are my favourite so when you mentioned that dish I was like: MUST TRY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This restaurant looks so good! Love the sound of the Al Pastor tacos, and the salpicon tostada, sounds like the food of dreams to me (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds amazing, I love mexican food, I will definitely be checking it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thomasina Meirs' "Mexican food made simple" is great - some of the recipes are quite involved but I've always had really good results with them (and she's got a killer margarita recipe in there too!!). If you like tex mex I'd also recommend Lisa Fain's "Homesick Texan" book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That seriously looks AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That food looks immense! Dessert looks ridiculously good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although I haven't got/read it, I know Thomasina Miers who won the first (new style) Masterchef has a Mexican cookbook, & she opened all those Wahaca tapas-esque restaurants down here, so I'm dying to try that! Nothing beats Mexican food, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thirded for Thomasina Miers' book, I cook from it all the time and everything always comes out great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks gorgeous! I want to try cooking nice mexican food too, I love all mexican!
    xx
    emsipop.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been thinking about trying this restaurant for a while, so this post was really helpful - you've definitely convinced me to go! The food looks amazing! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow all of this looks so good. I always think homemade tacos are an easy way to start with Mexican cooking also adding some rice with black beans is pretty good too as a side. Congrats on finishing the 10K

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Mexican food but I would love to experiment more so please pass any recipes on!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. M.M.M.M....DELICIUOS....VERY GOOD!
    NICE!
    I'M FROM ITALIA AND WE DON'T HAVE NOTHING LIKE THIS...WHY?
    WELL....I COME BACK AGAIN!

    ReplyDelete
  14. HOLA SOY UNA CHICA DE COSTA RICA...Y ME GUSTO MUCHO VENIR A COMER AQUI...ESPECIALMENTE POR LOS PORTRES.DELICIOSOS....
    TENIA TIEMPO DE COMER ASI!!!!
    VENGAN A SABOREAR TODA ESTA DIVINIDAD DE COSAS.....
    TIXIANA!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm going to have to try this place. I love Mexican food and haven't found a decent restaurant yet!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Helen, Firstly thank you for your kind review and we are very happy that you enjoy and buy into what we do and how we do it : ) Secondly with regards to the ribs we have looked at them and with all new restaurants there are a few problems but they are now cooked differently and hope you will give them another go! and thirdly you may remember me from Heather Mockfords English class i'll give you one BIG clue, she never stopped singleing me out...!Im sure you remember...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, I've been meaning to make a visit back and giving the ribs another try is as good an excuse as any :) Also really need to try the margaritas! I'm racking my brain trying to remember...I'm afraid most of A-Level lit is a blur! Please enlighten me though! (Or just email me if you'd rather not say on here: helen.sheridan@gmail.com)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails