Tuesday, 26 June 2012

The guest bedroom

It's been a while since I posted any more about our house renovation. I've been wanting to post our guest bedroom for a while, but to be honest it has been too messy to do so! It's the guest bedroom/my dressing room/Scott's study, so it gets a lot of use really for a spare bedroom. However, it also gets very messy being used as my dressing room! I am not the tidy person that most people imagine I am (although I am getting better) and I am a big fan of the 'bedrobe' (contents on wardrobe emptied onto the bed!). My friend is coming to visit at the weekend though, so it forced me to tidy it last weekend and try to keep it tidy all week. So far, so good (well it is only Tuesday).

When we first got the keys (nearly a year ago now!), the back bedroom was plain except for a purple wall. I am not a purple person at all and it made the room look way too dark.

Guest bedroom

Guest bedroom 

 The first job was getting rid of the purple with many coats of white paint. The purple paint was really thick and uneven so we tried sanding it down and then filling in the holes, but this just resulted in LOTS of dust which meant the white paint we painted over it wouldn't stick and would just bubble and peel off.

Guest room
Yay, the white paint is sticking (at last!)

Guest room
Choosing which shade of green

Guest room
Nearly finished

In the end, we had to peel back some of the purple paint right down the bare plaster and then fill this in and seal in all. It was the most infuriating room to paint to be honest. Lesson learned anyway: don't be overenthusiastic with the sanding and clean all the sand away thoroughly. We eventually got the paint to stick and stopped being perfectionists and it doesn't look too bad now.

Guest bedroom

Guest bedroom 
Hi Pumba!

Guest bedroom 

Guest bedroom 

Guest bedroom 

Guest bedroom

The room is quite mismatched, pretty much because we can't afford to buy new furniture. The bed and wardrobe are my old ones from my parents, the bureau is from a second hand furniture store and the bedside table is Ikea. The curtain, lamp and lampshade are also Ikea. The mirror is an old charity shop find of mine from years ago. We purchased an old 1934 ordnance survey map off eBay of the area we live in - it's so interesting looking at it! It even has the street that my Grandparents first lived on when they came over from Spain, which has since been demolished; and the street that my other Nana grew up on. We also have our Kate McLelland Edinburgh print which we purchased on our little trip there in 2010. We've made it a tradition now to buy bits of art for our home whenever we go somewhere. So far we have things from Edinburgh, Valencia & York. We also want to purchase something Liverpool-y (how could we not?!) and perhaps Parisian to remember our trip there for my 21st. The Russian doll carafe is from Funky Honey.

I really like this room despite the mismatch feel to all the furniture. I especially like it even more when it's clean and tidy like this! It has a very calm feel to it and as we just overlook some trees at the back, it's very serene. We slept in this room for quite a while as we were still decorating our room, and I loved waking up and just looking out to green trees. 

29 comments:

  1. It looks lovely now, the green is a nice colour, I definitely agree that it looks serene x
    Sirens and Bells

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the green! It's so fresh and lovely! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the green color you chose, and I love all the pillows on the bed; looks cosy. :)
    Also, love the idea of buying a piece of art from all the places you visit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the green you chose is so soothing! good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great little room! :) I love the touches of green and the mis-matched-ness. I really want to get some art for my house too. I finally have the extra cash to afford pretty things for my house, but I think booking a nice holiday somewhere might win out first! :)

    Kc

    a-sparkley-silver-lining.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful space. Green is such a soothing colour. Love your eclectic mix of treasures, too. Those shoes lined up against the wall like that are a work of art in themselves. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a very nice guest room, most are just a junk room with a bed and this is very neat :)I have a Cardiff one of these http://www.globee.co.uk/products/Liverpool-Globee.html xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that looks lovely! Really really gorgeous I am so excited to get older and start doing things like this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that shade of green! I actually love the mismatched furniture look anyway, so much more original that way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ah what a lovely room. that green is gorgeous - 'tis very similar to my wedding theme colour. :) and all your shoes! very jealous.

    i also am a not-very-tidy person and i love it when we finally do a tidy up and everything looks spacious and airy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know, I actually really liked the purple - but it was way too dark for that room, so the green is really a much better choice.

    It looks lovely and cosy now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the Edinburgh print!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The green looks much better than purple. It's lovely, doesn't look mismatched at all

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the bureau! I'm on the hunt for one.

    Great shade of green.x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the green you chose for the walls - it's so fresh and lovely! I bet waking up in that room makes your guests feel so refreshed!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome renovation job so far ... You can come and sort out my house anytime, you have such lovely taste.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Helen this room looks fab! You have such great taste in decor.
    I love the green, and the bedding, and the mirror, and the print! And the fact all your shoes are lined up and match the colour scheme =D
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is lovely, the green is very calming and I LOVE that Russian doll carafe!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a nice, cosy room. Every time you write a post about your home I get madly jealous and start looking at houses on Rightmove. You've decorated it so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I adore the print in the last photo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ooooh my goodness, the end result looks absolutely incredible! I love the color you chose, and the picture of shoes lined up is too cute for words *_*

    ReplyDelete
  22. The shade of green is stunning! The room looks fabulous all done up!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh CUTE! I love the row of shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  24. what a wonderful job you've done. it looks superb! And i love your shoe collection, glad im not the only one with 3+ pairs of red shoes!! ;)xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. nice xx :))


    Saving Thousands of People Hundreds of Dollars a Month

    http://www.saversclub.us/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Pretty..I wish I had your colour sense. Did you try TSP (trisodium phosphate) before you repainted? A wash with that and the paint should stick.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks lovely (and I love that you're a shoe-liner-upper person too!) The print of Edinburgh looks ace too against the green :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looks wonderful! My room is actually a similar color green:D
    I love those red shoes with the little stud-like-things<3

    blueeyednightowl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails