Sunday, 3 June 2012

Liverpool wedding planning

In the past few weeks, we've started thinking about our wedding. We've been engaged for over a year now and I never really wanted to have a long engagement. I know some people start planning their wedding straight away after getting engaged, but finding our perfect house and getting that how we want it was our priority. We've been homeowners for nearly a year now, so now that we've ran out of DIY projects to talk about together, we've had to start wedding planning to have something to talk about. (J/K!) It just feels like the next step.

We went to see our first venue the other day and are both quite smitten with it, but we want to visit a few others before we settle on one. We a pretty sure that we want a wedding in Liverpool and have spent forever scouring different wedding blogs and local photographers blogs to scout out the venues that we really like that have good photo opportunities. I thought I'd share with you today some gorgeous Liverpool weddings.


                                                                 Source: boho-weddings.com via Helen on Pinterest


This gorgeous wedding at Sefton Park Palm house is shot by Assassynation (the wonderful photographer of Sarah's - A Million Dresses gorgeous wedding!). The palm house is just down the road from us and we did consider it but we think it is out of our budget. I love the vintage car.

                                                                   Source: zoephotography.co.uk via Helen on Pinterest


I absolutely love this wedding! The gorgeous Candy Anthony dress, the photos in Faulkner Square, the views from the Hope Street Hotel, it's so perfect. I think a Candy Anthony dress is sliiiightly out of my budget, but I know that I don't want a traditional floor length dress (they're too impractical! I want to be able to dance around and go to the toilet easily on my wedding day.)

                                                                     Source: rocknrollbride.com via Helen on Pinterest


This couple were married in Italy and then had a huge party for all their family and friends who could't make it at the Liverpool club, The Kazimier. The Kazimier has an awesome fairground feel to it and I can imagine it being a pretty great place for a wedding party. The 'Penelope' sculpture also makes an amazing backdrop for photos.


                                                                Source: rockmywedding.co.uk via Helen on Pinterest

Another Hope Street Hotel wedding! I love the bright colour pop theme here and those balloons are a great prop idea. Ruth & Rob are too cool, I love their graphic design and brightly coloured accessories (especially the bright yellow socks of the groomsmen!)

 
                                                                      Source: annahardy.co.uk via Helen on Pinterest


Lambanana! A Liverpool icon, it makes a great backdrop for these photos. I love that this couple had their reception at the ace real ale pub, The Ship & Mitre too. Anna Hardy's photography is absolutely gorgeous. The bride, Rose, wore ACE tights and fab earrings too, I love interesting bridal accessories that aren't traditional and/or Melissa x Viv Westwood shoes.

                                                                  Source: rocknrollbride.com via Helen on Pinterest


And finally, a wedding on the iconic Albert Dock. I'd love a wedding near the docks to have the famous Liver building in the background, however it is windy about 99% of the time and I don't think that I will make a great windswept bride. This couple had a steampunk circus themed wedding at the restaurant Circo.

Liverpool has some amazing wedding venues for both the ceremony and reception, it's making it hard for us to decide! We know that we don't want a church ceremony as neither of us are religious and it wouldn't feel comfortable to us, but that almost makes it harder for us to choose as there's too much choice out there. Do we have the ceremony and reception all in the same place or have a separate ceremony and move on for the reception? Registry office or country house ceremony? Where can we have nice photos taken after the ceremony? So many questions!

Anyone have any words of wisdom for us for deciding on a venue?


30 comments:

  1. Choosing my venue was hard because I was restricted in terms of budget and I was looking for a specific date. Also I wanted to bring my own caterers in which a lot of places don't allow you to. I had my ceremony in a registry office (with only 10 guests which I preferred as it was less nerve wracking) and the reception in a hall with photos in the public garden square outside. It really depends on what you prefer though but once you have your venue sorted everything else just falls into place :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think that deciding on the sort of theme you're going for before choosing your venue is the way to go, no need to have it completely planned out but it helps to narrow the field somewhat. we knew we wanted elegant & medieval/celtic themed so we knew that modern venues weren't right for us. and then obviously price range is very important - generally best not to look at places that are way out of your limits in case you fall in love!! we're getting married next oct at http://www.samlesburyhall.co.uk which is just absolutely perfect for the feel we wanted. :)

    good luck with finding somewhere, once you have your venue booked it all starts to feel very real! :)

    S/the_thirdbar

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've just decided on our venue in Cardiff and it was difficult to find somewhere that we were happy with. As well as the headache of planning the ceremony and reception in separate places but in the end we found a venue that could do both for us! We just set a date for 2 years time which feels like enough to plan without stress!

    Jen - sailtheship.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. congratulations on finishing your house stuff! i've been having a nosey and have loved reading about your renovations and about your life in liverpool. it's so good to find liverpool bloggers! i'm definitely planning on taking a nosey on some of these weddings too - especially the one with the kazimier as their wedding venue, it's my favourite venue in the city and i've live up the road from it for the past two years.

    i hope your wedding planning goes well! can't wait to see what you decide on. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those all look fab! In many ways I'd love to get married all over again as I think I would do things a little differently after being inspired so much via pinterest and blogs! Saying that, our wedding was lovely, we went to Italy and it was amazing. I think my only advice to anyone getting married is to be selfish! Its your wedding and you I don't think you should worry too much about keeping other people happy, just yourselves :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that lady's Candy Anthony dress. Out of interest I did a search on Ebay and there's a lovely secondhand one for sale with a peter pan collar - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/delightful-candy-anthony-vintage-style-wedding-dress-size-10-/230801630782?pt=UK_Wedding_Dresses&hash=item35bcd9663e#ht_500wt_1156 It's very you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a short dress made with a jacket for less than £250 - if you want her details let me know. You can see some of my pics later!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have no advice for wedding planning as I have been engaged for three years and have no finances available for planning our wedding yet. Some of the places on the photos are beautiful. Albert Dock would be lovely but like you said, it's very windy! We plan on getting married in Manchester; specifically the town hall as its so beautiful. Good luck and please post all about your wedding plans!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd say think if your theme and how modern or vintage you want your wedding. We wanted something quite vintage and we didn't want to get married in a church but wanted the ceremony room to be special. The ceremony room was what let most places down. We chose a castle in the end with an amazing but scary staircase entrance. We are also big foodies so that was quite a factor! I'd say choose somewhere that will be great whatever the weather. X

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow lucky you, I can't wait to be planning our wedding! We've been engaged for over 2 years but definitely can't afford it yet.
    Thanks for your comment on my blog :)
    thelifeofemily-alice.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow all these venues look amazing. Good luck with your search, I know it will be amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We've decided to go to Las Vegas next year.
    I'm definitely getting a shorter dress and love the Candy Anthony ones. I've found Honeypie Boutique, Look Darling (both on the Wirral) and Oh My Honey to have similar shorter dresses but much cheaper. Look forward to seeing wedding posts x

    ReplyDelete
  13. These all look lovely, some wonderful starting points for inspiration too!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, good luck with your wedding planning! I love Liverpool and have spent quite a lot of time there :) thank you for including two of my pics!! Firstly Rachael and Paul at Sefton and then Lou and Ant at the Kazimir! Both weddings were amazing but totally different! Good luck with the planning :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Why does everyone have the cart before the horse these days? If you're going to get married, just do it with what funds you have available and be done with it--whether that is a lavish bash or a few witnesses in a small church or at home. This living together for years to save up for the "wedding" seems a bit wrong. If you want to save up for years for a one-day party, fine, but don't live together because otherwise what is the point?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for comment, but I don't understand why my personal situation bothers you so much. I don't care when people get married; whether they live together before or not, whether they get married before or after having children; all I care about is that people are happy but you obviously are quite bitter and do not.

      Delete
    2. Surely in this day and age marriage is more like the icing on the cake, and couples are sensible to live together first? When there is no actual societal need or pressure to get married, I think it's lovely that people still choose to make this commitment to one another. Even a small wedding is expensive, so making sure that you're in a good financial position to afford the celebration you want seems like a massively sensible thing to do - and Helen I hope you have a fabulous day wherever you choose to have it.

      Delete
    3. No, I'm not bitter; I'm concerned. You put all this out there on the internet to talk about, and asked for wisdom, so I gave my opinion. You also said you didn't want a long engagement, and my opinion is, if finances for an expensive wedding are the barrier, then that is silly--a cake, some punch, a simple dress and we are still married three decades later

      Delete
    4. Sorry, but the only reason you would bother making this comment anonymous is because you knew it wasn't appropriate to post.
      "What's the point?" Well the point is because it's what they want to do. And Helen should not have to justify her decision about something so mundane as when she wants to get married.

      Delete
    5. It's rather hypocritical to ascribe motives to someone just because you disagree. I knew the "anonymous" issue would come up. It's obvious my view is unpopular, and now that I've been called "bitter" and "inappropriate," it's obvious I made the correct decision to use the anonymous posting avenue that was provided. I didn't call anyone names or ascribe motives to anyone. I do think society would be better off if children had two married parents (since that topic has been brought up, as well.) I don't think it's fair to the children, either, to choose to bring them up without marriage. Have fun with that one!

      Delete
    6. Okay, I apologise for perhaps being unfair to you in my comment above - but I do feel that there if a difference between adding your own opinion to the debate, and criticising not only someone's life choices but their morals too which I think was uncalled for.

      When you say 'the cart before the horse' in this financially climate surely it was nothing but sensible for Helen and her fiancée to buy a house before spending money on a wedding?

      I'm not going to comment on your opinions of it being "men getting to have their cake and eat it, too" or being married before having children because you're more than entitled to your opinion.

      Delete
    7. You posting at all is completely inappropriate and unnecessary in my opinion. The fact that you suggest your response contains any kind of 'wisdom' is even more misguided. If you had any kind of wisdom whatsoever you'd know to live and let live and leave Helen, of all people, alone!

      Helen, I agree with everyone else, I absolutely can't wait to hear all about your wedding plans!

      Delete
  17. I think you summed that up yourself when you said "these days". Times change, and so do people's priorities. Personally I will live with my boyfriend before we get married because we want to know we are compatible, and also because it's more practical to share costs of things, as unromantic as that is. And what about looking at things the other way round - why get married if you know they're your life partner? Because, as Emma puts it so well, it's "the icing on the cake" - something extra to symbolise that commitment. It's a personal choice whatever people do in any case.

    Good luck Helen - hope you find the venue of your dreams, and put together something really special. I know you will, and I look forward to hearing about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure if it's the icing on the cake or the men getting to have their cake and eat it, too.

      Delete
  18. How exciting, enjoy the planning!
    Re the dress, I got married last year & thought I did not want a long formal dress.
    In the end I got a long lace dress (with a train!!) & was so delighted with it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. How amazing is that dock wedding. I love Liverpool so the potential options must be a bit overwhelming for you.

    Go for what you want though and don't let people bully you - but thats my advice for weddings in general and I haven't even had one lol.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this post :) It's a big decision but you're lucky that you have so much choice - we had real issues trying to find a venue for our reception, as we knew we wanted to get married in my family's church and didn't want everyone to have to travel too far after the service, but it turned out that there's not many exciting options within a reasonable distance! At least you can take your time choosing the perfect place - exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It’s a good place to go with friends or family and enjoy wedding parties there. We can collect many memories here by enjoying many functions here.

    Weddings Planning

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails