Tuesday, 19 June 2012

Mocha cake

Mocha cake

Mocha cake

For father's day I made a delicious mocha cake, as both my Dad & Grandad are big fans of anything coffee flavoured. I remember growing up, my Dad would always sneakily take the coffee ones out boxes of Roses and then I fell in love with them too. I'm so sad they don't seem to do as many coffee flavoured chocolates anymore; coffee & chocolate is such an amazing combination. 

The recipe is from Rachel Allen Bake, but adapted slightly by myself. 

Ingredients: 
For the cake
175g Plain Flour
3 tbsp baking powder (or 2 parts bicarb and 1 part cream of tartar like I used)
50g cocoa powder
225g soft light brown sugar
175g butter, melted
4 medium eggs, separated 
60ml very strong coffee, cooled
3tbsp water

For the icing
100g butter, softened
250g icing sugar
3tbsp very strong coffee, cooled
Cocoa powder for dusting

Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 190c/Gas mark 5. Grease 2 springform 8 inch tins. 
2. Sift the flour, raising agents and cocoa powder together and stir in the sugar. 
3. Beat in the melted butter, egg yolks, coffee & water. 
4. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form, then fold into the cake mixture with a metal spoon (ensuring you keep as much air in as possible). Make sure there are no pockets of egg white left in the mixture. 
5. Split the cake mixture between the two cake tins and bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until a fork comes out clean. 
6. Leave the cakes to cool in their tins for a few minutes, then turn out onto a wire cooling rack to finish cooling thoroughly. 
7. When the cakes are cooled, make the icing. I simply blended all the ingredients together in a food processor, but using an electric hand whisk will also work. Ice the cakes as you wish. Sprinkle with a light dusting of cocoa powder for decoration.

I really recommend making this cake, the sponge is so light and moist! If you don't like coffee, simply replace the coffee with water and you'll have a lovely chocolate sponge. 

16 comments:

  1. mmm this looks delightful. I'm going to have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't even like coffee but this looks and sounds delicious!

    Becky | life.style.flash. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks lovely, will have to file it away for Dad's birthday as he too is a massive coffee fan (and also used to pinch the Coffee Creams from the Roses!) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh this looks so yummy! <3 xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so going to make this for my coffee loving best friend's birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the dads in your family are so lucky to have such a wonderful baker to make treats like this! Looks delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also, I just realized your background is red polka dot, which I love! Maybe you've had it for a while and I'm just not very perceptive--haha! Anyway, it's super cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds amazing! As a coffee feind I definitely need to get me some of this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks great. My cakes never turn out neat and tidy like yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thihs looks perfect and I bet it tasted fab!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness, that looks like my perfect cake! I don't know about a librarian, I think you should be a baker! =D
    xx
    emsipop.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. YUM! your cakes are alwaysa amazing!

    http://twineandtwitter.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will have to make this for my boyfriend, he loves anything coffee based!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummmmmm that is exactly what I want right now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I made this cake last night, it was so delicious! But I wish I could ice my cakes the way you do :( mine looks a total mess!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails