Sunday, 10 June 2012

Our boring hallway

I have a confession to make...our hallway is MAGNOLIA! Yes, after all the magnolia bashing I've done in other interior blogposts, and our hallway; possibly the most important area as it gives first impressions, is magnolia. Now, we decided it would be best to keep it neutral and just decided not to paint it. After decorating 4 rooms and re-doing the kitchen and everything, we were pretty knackered. The hallway would just do, for now. I said 'we'll re-do it over Christmas when I'm off work.' Well, it's now 6 months after Christmas and it still remains exactly the same. And I HATE it! The only thing that we have done is install a new light fitting in the hallway downstairs and buy a trunk to hide our shoes in and also a closet to put on the top of the landing. Other than that, everything is the same as when the previous owners moved out. We haven't even changed the green light shade on the landing OR the coat hooks! 

Magnolia hallway
The entrance hall when you come through the front door. 

Magnolia hallway
And the view from the top of the stairs. 

We originally put off painting it because it would be such a big job - especially on the stairs where the walls are so high and impossible to paint. But now it's got too much. I'm going to set aside one weekend soon and re-do it. I've been thinking about wallpapering the wall on the right handside of the landing in the second photo, getting a new lampshade, putting up some pictures in the hall downstairs and putting up some new and more 'us' coat hooks. 





                                                                        Source: housetohome.co.uk via Helen on Pinterest







                                                                            Source: Uploaded by user via Helen on Pinterest






                                                                         Source: letter2mom.com via Helen on Pinterest

I am also tempted to paint our trunk and the closet after looking at these photos for inspiration but I think that will be quite a bit DIY job! I could get really carried away if I had time I think. I want to find some new prints to hang up in the hall too - does anyone have any recommendations on their favourite Etsy shops for affordable, bright art?

17 comments:

  1. I adore the first of your hallway inspiration posts! As for Etsy sellers, I personally love Visual Philosophy (http://www.etsy.com/shop/visualphilosophy?ref=seller_info), I'm forever browsing their prints! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, the wallpaper in the first inspiration picture is amazing! I'm sure it'll look fabulous :) ♥

    Sarah ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  3. We haven't touched our hall either - apart from putting some pictures and a coat rack - but I don't really care about it!

    I like these Etsy shops for colourful art:
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/yumalum
    http://roddyandginger.etsy.com
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/MaryKateMcDevitt
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/lauraamiss
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/YellowHeartArt

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow those hallways are amazing. going by your rooms so far, i've no doubt you'll make it look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, I love all these red polka dots! And I mean LOVE! It's so YOU. Fab.

    I don't love your hallway though. But you have some brilliant ideas there, so I'm sure it will looks amazing when you're done with it.

    Amber xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with the new job, I know it will look great with the ideas you've come up with. Etsy always has great stuff!!! I also like the idea of buying frames and using different pieces of leftover wallpaper or random picture. s as wall art

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love to have extra money to decorate as my whole house - bar one room, which still isn't fully finished - needs redecorating. I love that colourful coat rack. You definitely should get something like that to add a splash of colour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My house renovation is dragging on now and I want to finish it all off, so many white walls!
    My mate has loads of frames on the wall going up the stairs. A mixture of photos, mirrors and prints. It looks great.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Helen :) I love the inspiration photos you selected for your hallway. We really need to do ours too, so this was great post to see! I particularly love that wire hook shelf.

    Loulou

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really need to give my hall a bit of a redo to! I have found some lovely prints on Not on the highstreet that weren't too pricey :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I LOVE the idea of wallpapering the wall of the doorway to the front bedroom! We have the same layout as you and obviously the hall is an effing nightmare too! Also if you at after a really good eames hang it all replica let me know as I'm so pleased with ours. Good luck can't wait to see how it goes! X

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have a magnolia hallway too, but loads of art on the wall and a bright red cabinet, so it deson't matter. We are just getting out flat ready to sell and will keep the hallway magnolia.

    I can't think of a specific artist now, just search etsy, there is so much!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never see this floor plan here in Nashville, but I like it because it creates a nice place to transition between "home" and "out." I say paint the chest! Painting furniture isn't a very big undertaking, and in one weekend you could easily paint the chest, hang some art over it, and put down a runner or mat.

    At the top of the stairs, I'd love to see a small console table with a pretty vignette on top and a mirror above. You know, for a last-minute lipstick check when you leave the house. :)

    As for art, I'm crazy about Sideshow Sign Co right now: http://www.sideshowsignco.com/

    <3 jen @ stuff jen did

    ReplyDelete
  14. seriously, could our homes all look like pinterest please!
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think you should wallpapering it, like the first photo! looks adorable :)

    enter my giveaway: http://valium-and-cherrywine.blogspot.pt/2012/06/summer-pack-give-away.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's funny that you asked about art because a couple of weeks ago, I started a new series on my blog called Instant Art Collection where I put together pieces that work well together. I've done 3 collections so far. Plus I've always blogged art from the beginning so feel free to have a browse and let me know if you see anything you like! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks so so pretty. I love the coat hangers and that wallpaper the best. It looks really welcoming without being overwhelming. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails