Sunday, 17 June 2012

The trumpet of the swan


 

When I posted this photo on Instagram, I had SO many comments and likes! I guess everyone loves swans. I love that this dress is called Jubilee swan print. The queen owns all the wild swans in open water in Britain and to kill one used to be classed as treason, so the swan print is a nice nod to the queen without being OTT jubilee-ish. I will also wear it for years to come too. I bought my dress from the petite section, as I often do it Topshop if what I want is also available in petite (being a diminutive 5 ft 2). It just so happened that it had sold out in 'normal' sizes and was only available in petite! Score! The petite section in Topshop has actually been pretty boring until this. I was saving the dress for it's first outing in York anyhow.


York

I look pretty miserable in here but I had about a million photos taken by Scott while he tried to get a decent camera setting for the hotel room so this was the best of a bad bunch (no offence Scott! Thanks for putting up with my posing and the bad lighting). I wore it with my shoes from Duo and a plain black cardigan. I think this dress with be so lovely in the summer when I can go bare legged (or perhaps I should just buy some flesh coloured tights - I've always been a bit against them for some reason but I suppose they have their uses).

YorkYork

I wore the dress to Ask, which we mainly went in because it's inside the Assembly Rooms in York, which are beautiful. Usually when we travel, we like to try independent restaurants that you won't be able to visit again, but convenience and the pretty surroundings convinced us to try Ask. The food was ok, but the service wasn't very good at all. At least the price of the food was alright. The previous night though we went for an amaaazing italian called Little Italy. The service was lovely and attentive, the surroundings cosy and the food was immense. I had the spaghetti aurora which was prawns in a creamy, tomatoey sauce. I almost wish I had took my swan dress on another outing to there to try more dishes! We did return on our final day to pick up some breasola from the deli so that we can try to recreate the starter that we shared. It was so delicious.



30 comments:

  1. Err I NEED this dress! Wow.
    thelifeofemily-alice.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This dress is amazing, not surprised you got so many links - Love swans - I have the swan trousers from Topshop and thought they're nothing like this they're AMAZINGly swan-ny.

    I love one off restaurants, more often the 'posh pub' types that just do amazing fresh food, they're pretty rare! Never really been a big fan of ask! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't believe the dress is from Topshop it's so pretty. Love your new blog design btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. this dress really suits you!
    you look fab! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm wearing this dress right now! I love it! The assembly rooms that ask is in are amazing. I went there for my hen do earlier this year. I used to love little Italy too! I haven't been there since I graduated in 2005! I miss York x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great dress and pics. The food sounds delicious. Nothing like a weekend in a nice hotel with good food!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous dress. Slight correction - the Queen doesn't own all the swans, that's a myth. The Dyers Association and the Vintners Company own the ones on the Thames and each year they are counted in an event called the Swan Upping. Google it - I reckon you'll find it interesting. I fancy going down to watch one year. Vvvv jealous of your York trip btw. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely love the swan dress, Helen! I had my hands on it in Topshop but thought the patten was a bit too "full on." Seeing you wear it has completely dispelled my thoughts because it's just fabulous! Your hair is in great condition too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just looked at this dress today on topshop website! I love all the swans print items ..<3
    I'm so tempted to buy the black skirt!! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have just bought this dress too, loved the pattern! The Ask looks lovely, but I always get terrible service when I go to one too.. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bought it too. :) I bought it online so got two sizes to try, then returned one. It was right after I'd returned it that I realised they'd sold out and were going for a fair profit on eBay. Curses.

    I received pretty poor service at Pizza Express last night. I should stop going really, but they do some decent offers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahh, I love that dress so much!

    ReplyDelete
  13. love this on you, used to seeing you in black with bright accessories or primary colours. The light base colour really suits you!
    I always end up eating out in Las Iguanas but I'm going to Jamie's this weekend (still a chain but new) and having afternoon tea in an independant tea rooms in Bute park x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a gorgeous dress, it looks beautiful on you! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. The print oof your dress is exquisite, I love it and have a weakness for swans , retro pottery ones and framed prints! you look beautiful and those chandeliers are stunners. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's true, everyone loves a swan print! That dress is gorgeous on you.
    York is on of my favourite places, so glad you had a nice time!
    xx
    emsipop.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  17. That dress is lovely and it sounds like you had a good time in York (even if the service was rubbish!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. That dress is fabulous, I adore prints like that!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that dress, I'd been eyeing it up in Topshop, then didn't buy it...now I really wish I had! Looks lovely on you :)

    allaboutthegirlblog.blogspot.com xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, that dress is so unique! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh! How ADORABLE is this dress on you. I really want to get more fun with prints in my own wardrobe. This is quite inspiring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a lovely dress! I want one, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oooh I love this dress! It really suits you. I have the black skirt version and I am a bit obsessed with it x

    ReplyDelete
  24. love your outfit, the dress is so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. LOVE that dress! It's so cute on you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the swan dress, I can see why it got so many comments, it's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  27. AAAAH I've been admiring this dress too! It looks great on you too, love it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  28. love this dress, its just amazing. Ive always hated natural colour tights too, but have taken to wearing them with this stupid weather we're having!
    It looks like such a wonderful time was had! xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh my, I love this dress too... didn't think I liked swans that much but apparently I do!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails