Sunday, 8 July 2012

Chocolate eclairs

Chocolate eclair

Chocolate eclair

Chocolate eclair

I made these amazing (even if I say so myself) chocolate eclairs last week, in between watching Spain beat Portugal in the Euro semi finals. (I am half Spanish and so pleased that Spain managed to win AGAIN and become the only team to retain the Euros, viva España!) Anyway, back to these babies. 


I love making choux pastry. It isn't like any other pastry really, as you start by boiling water and butter, then whisking in flour and then the eggs in a saucepan. It makes a weird, glossy goopy mixture that you can then pipe and watch puff up into lovely golden puffs. The choux pastry puffs themselves aren't that amazing, they taste kind of eggy just plain to be honest (yes, I had to test them out of the oven!) but it's the fillings and toppings that really make them. 

These eclairs were simply filled with some whipped double cream and topped with a chocolate fondant icing. I used a James Martin recipe, however I would recommend adding a few tablespoons of water to the icing to come together and make it spreadable. Another little tip is stabbing the eclairs slightly when they come out of the oven, as this lets the steam out and stops them from going soggy, which is never nice. 

Anyone fancy experimenting with choux pastry now? I want to recreate a coffee tower from Fisher & Donaldson in St Andrews, they are the BEST cream cakes ever and me and my good friend Emma would consume lots of these on our holidays there are teenagers. 

18 comments:

  1. These look great. It's something I'd have never considered making but I'm quite tempted now! They're my dads favourite x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure you're not a pastry chef on the sly? They look amazing, very professional and they look jolly yummy too!
    My best treat at Pat Val in Manchester was their coffee eclair. Wow! So much nicer than any of their other, fancier-looking patisserie.
    I did make them once, with my mum, ooo, years ago. Inspired to give it another go...will go and check that F & D link now!
    Big hugs,
    Z xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look absolutely delicious! I could eat the whole lot in about 5 minutes flat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm drooling over these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh they look amazing! I love eclairs!
    Sophie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Choux pastry is the only kind i've not tried making, you've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look amazing! The idea of trying to make choux pastry is scary though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, they look amazing! Definite tummy rumblings now.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look amazing! But i'm portuguese so i didn't like that game as much as you xD

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yes I would really like to try making this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. mmmm these look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow, mouth-watering here! Never thought of making eclairs before... going on my to bake/eat list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. for some reason, I always shy away from making pastry. Mostly I think because I don't really enjoy eating shortcrust pastry and pies so don't enjoy baking it but choux...well, you might have encouraged me to brave it and try it once. These look so delicate and yummy! Is it really possible to learn choux pastry!?
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  14. They look spectacular, well done! It's been ages since I've had one of these. And I certainly haven't tried making them either. I am very impressed:D

    blueeyednightowl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look lovely, I would love to make some but I'm too scared!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. They look shop bought! Very yummy!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails