Wednesday, 29 August 2012

Grow your own

Curly Kale

Grow your own

We only have a small back yard with no planting area, but we decided to have a go at growing some of our own vegetables this summer anyway. Obviously some things were out of the question that need a lot of room, like pumpkins, but the majority of vegetables can be grown quite easily in containers. 

Potatoes can be grown in big plastic containers like these (plastic ones are cheaper), or even a rubbish bag. Peas can also be grown in these big containers, just add some stakes in for support. We managed to fit 5 pea plants in each of these containers and harvested quite a bounty of gorgeous peas at the height of summer. 


Grow your own

2kg of potatoes! 

Grow your own

Grow your own

Beetroot, carrots and spring onions

Our carrots actually failed a bit (okay, a lot. Not a single one did we manage to harvest successfully). Lots just died off and the ones we did manage to pull out of the ground were half rotten. I half suspect that the heavy rain in the summer made them too wet and we should have had better drainage, but oh well. We will try again next year. Above is a wooden planter than Scott built. It has storage underneath it too and the planter is at chest level. We planted beetroot, carrots and spring onions and have had some lovely spring onions from it and the beetroot will be ready to harvest any day now. So 2 out of 3 isn't bad. 

Another staple of our garden are herbs. We have thyme, sage, mint, oregano, basil and rosemary. 

Here are a few tips for growing veg in small spaces: 
  • drainage, drainage, drainage! A container probably won't have as good natural drainage as planting into the ground, and you don't want your vegetables rotting because they are too wet. Old pieces of terracotta or a chopped up plastic pot can be use for drainage in the bottom of a container. 
  • Don't buy expensive seeds - seeds from poundland and wilkos are just as good. 
  • It's okay to cheat - I've often bought baby plants to get a headstart. The kale was bought as plugs and we planted them on. I also cheated last year and bought some courgette plants from Wilkinsons as my courgette seeds failed. 
  • Keep all of your plants in the sunniest area. Our garden is quite shady so all of our containers are clustered into the left hand side to maximise the sunshine. The great thing with a container garden is that you can shuffle them around so ones that are looking a bit in need of extra sunshine can be moved. It also comes in handy when entertaining - you can move all the containers out of the way to maximise space. 
  • Don't neglect them - remember to water them in the morning and evening on very hot days and trim off any dying parts of plants regularly. It's also important to harvest them while they're at their best - we missed out on a few peas because we didn't pick them at the right time. 
  • Don't worry about expensive feeds - we never used any and our plants turned out fine. Okay, they might *improve* your harvest, but they aren't the be all and end all. 
We would love a bigger garden one day (or even an allotment!) but at the moment we don't have the time or money to dedicate to a bigger garden so our little container garden is perfect for us. 


17 comments:

  1. I would love to grow my own veggies but living in a flat makes that impossible.

    You don't know how happy seeing this blog post makes me, glad you're back :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a pretty impressive harvest, I generally manage to kill all plants within a few days of them arriving in my house!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love this guide/advice I have wanted to grow veg now for a while but I'm just so clueless. Thanks for sharing and how amazing are yours, that runner bean looks so yummy. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yaaaay! Hello, Helen!
    So glad, thrilled, delighted that you're still here. <3

    I'm also madly impressed at you being able to grow your own plants. I can imagine myself ever finding the time to do it. Must be really satisfying though to be able to eat your own home grown veg.

    Amber xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love growing things in the garden but where i live flooded twice this year and we didn't manage to grow anything successfully as they all died off. Hopefully next year will be better! Your containter looks great! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been leaving the growing to my husband but he's not been doing well this year. I'll probably have to step up and take it on myself next year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This makes me insanely jealous I dont have a garden!Even worse, our downstairs neighbours do and have all sorts growing! I do however have a windowsill heb garden which will have to surfice for the moment! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a really good post, it makes me want to try growing things in our garden again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE growing things in my yard. I've only managed herbs and cucumbers so far but am definitely hoping to grow a bit more next year. It's so satisfying! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, you got so many potatos from such a small area!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really want to grow my own, I must. I MUST!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been growing my own strawberries this summer and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad your blog is back!
    Wish I could grow veg, I'm absolutely no good at it.
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that you've done this with the space you have! Shame about the carrots but I would be SO ridiculously proud of the rest - I've never grown anything.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your peas look great! My dad loves growing veg and is currently growing marrows, tomatoes and squash. Tragically I haven't inherited his green fingers, mine are definitely black as everything I tried to grow dies - my house plants, the chili seeds from Wahaca and even a baby apple tree plant that I won :(

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay! So glad your blog is back :-)

    Love homey posts!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would absolutely love to grow my own veggies! My mum has recently acquired an allotment in our village and is obsessed with it - just did a post with some pictures of it if you are interested (sanssouciblog.blogspot.co.uk). Sadly I don't think we are able to in our flat!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails