Sunday, 2 September 2012

Beetroot pink speckled cake

Beetroot cake

Beetroot cake

Beetroot cake

This cake is one of the first cakes I started making when I got into baking. It is like a carrot cake, but made with beetroot so is prettier (and also a lot messier!). I now grate the beetroot in my food processor as it's a lot quicker and cleaner, but before I had a food processor grating it by hand would result in the kitchen looking like the scene of a massacre. Yet I still carried on making it, especially for Easter for my family get together. My cousin especially is a fan of it and whenever I make other cakes he alwaysalways mentioned the famous beetroot cake. He turned 30 last weekend so I made this cake for him. 

Beetroot cake

Beetroot cake

Phwoar. It is so so good. The cake also has crunchy bits of roasted hazelnuts in it and the frosting is a delicious vanilla cream cheese icing - full fat of course. 

Ingredients

150g raw beetroot, grated
200ml groundnut oil
250g caster sugar
3 medium eggs, separated
3 tablespoons of milk
100g hazelnuts, roasted and chopped
200g plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon each ground ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg

For the frosting:
450g cream cheese (the recipe says low-fat but I prefer to use full fat - no point in trying to be virtuous when you're eating cake!)
150g icing sugar
180g unsalted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Sugar flowers to decorate

1. Preheat the oven to 170c fan/190c/gas mark 5 and butter and line two 20cm cake tins. Place 1 teaspoon of the grated beetroot in a small bowl and cover with 2 teaspoons boiling water and set aside (This is for colouring the frosting later).

2. Whisk the oil and caster sugar in a large bowl, then whisk in the eggs yolks and milk. Add in the remaining beetroot and nuts. Add the flour and baking powder to the mixture and stir until combined. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until they are stiff, then fold into the cake mixture in 3 goes. Divide between the two tins and bake for about 30 minutes or until a fork comes out of the cakes clean. Leave to cool in the tins for a bit, then turn out on to a cooling rack.

3. For the frosting, combine the icing sugar and butter in a food processor. Add in the cream cheese, food colouring and vanilla extract and pulse until fully combined. 

4. When the cake is fully cooled, ice the cake. The cake is a very soft moist cake, so I do a thin crumb layer first to trap all of the crumbs inside and leave to cool in the fridge. Then when it is set add another layer of icing and decorate with sugar flowers.  




16 comments:

  1. It looks so good! Will definitely be trying this! Xx

    www.satinandsouffles.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great! If I had a food processor I'd definitely attempt it, I don't really like the idea of having to clean up my kitchen after the beetroot grating!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good though I just can't imagine how it would taste! I do like carrot cake though so will have to give it a go xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dont like beetroot but this looks lovely ! maybe i'l have to make it for the rest of my family :)

    Beautiful Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds amazing! I love carrot cake, and anything gooey and moist, so this sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is sooooooooooo pretty.

    sheree x

    glitzngrime.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would never want to cut into that cake because it looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks so beautiful! I really want to try baking with beetroot soon, I have a nice recipe for brownies bookmarked :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that sounds wonderful! Wonder if I could whiz together a dairy-free version of the topping?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds amazing, especially the nuts!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay this is ridiculously pretty and I want to smash my face in it! Ahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks go good! I really want to try all these cakes with vegetables in. I had some courgette cupcakes the other day and they were so good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That cake looks absolutely delicious. I imagine that it tastes pretty darn good - vegetable based cakes are always surprisingly yummy!!

    PS: Hope you manage to try some good dim sum in Liverpool, you have quite a vibrant community up there! I've never been to their China town before -but have walked past it when my sister used to study up there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never had beetroot cake before. It's looks so tasty, I may have to try and make this sometime very soon.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails