Tuesday, 11 September 2012

My next running challenge




I've only gone and entered the Liverpool half marathon! It takes place next March, which I figured will give me lots of time to train for it. The only thing that is slightly scaring me is that it means I'll have to become a dedicated winter runner. I am a bit of a fair weather runner - preferring to hibernate in the winter and saying that it isn't safe to run in the dark is always my favourite excuse (although I know it's mostly rubbish if you stick to main roads and use common sense anyway).

I have a gym membership to fall back on but the thought of running for longer than 15 minutes on the treadmill bores me to tears. I'm determined to do most of my running outside. I have a 10k race in October (Southport 10k on the 7th October) and from then on I'll be slowly building up my mileage over the winter. To be honest, the thought of running in the dark and in the cold over the next few months is making me have second thoughts...but to motivate me through it is the thought of running my first half marathon in my favourite city AND the opportunity to buy new clothes.





I've already started by buying a new sports bra (Shock Absorber from Bravissimo - they don't move an inch! Such a good bra!), a thermal base layer top and ugly but practical fluro yellow running jacket. Running clothes are pretty much all ugly, but for some reason I really enjoy buying them. I really like Nike running clothes but can't quite bring myself to spend £45 on a running top (I wouldn't even spend that on a normal top, probably a dress).

So, does anyone who's ran 13.1 miles before have any tips and advice for me?

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations on committing to a half marathon. You will love it! I might be doing the Liverpool Half too but it'll be a training run as I'm either doing the London or the Manchester Marathon next Spring. Tips: Don't miss a training session unless you really have to. I had to drop out of my half marathon last week because my training was horrible (no babysitter - single parent) and I wasn't prepared to run one without training. It'll make you feel so much better knowing you've trained hard and put all the effort in. As for running in the cold. Why not run on the treadmill for around 3 miles then carry on the rest of the run outdoors? That way, you're already warned up when you get outside and you don't have to run 8 miles on the dreadmill. Good luck anyway! I'm looking forward to hearing about you're training! I have a running blog if you're interested - marathonat26.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! I think you'll do great! My best advice is to follow a good plan which should make sure that you are training at the right level for you. Watch out for any niggles that might turn into injuries and most of all enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, congrats and good luck on the training. I've never run a marathon but I do run for exercise and thermal tops are the best at keeping you warm during the winter months. I'm not sure what brands are available in the UK but there are some cheaper tops that are non-brand names but still work. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exciting challenge! My other half completed a half marathon at the end of July! I hope to get there some day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. congrats - such a great idea to challenge yourself! I cant run 1 mile let alone a half marathon! goodluck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow I'm in awe! I've never really done any running before so this sounds incredible to me. Have you read Murakami's What I talk about when I talk about running? It's really good and gets you to understand how running has helped him with his writing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck! I have never got into running, but I imagine something like this would be really cool!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have no advice, i can't run the length of myself as they say in Belfast. I really really applaud anyone who has the nerve and dedication to do it, i need to try being more fit!

    I love your ecco boots too by the way, you can tell they will be so comfy. My feet need something like that!
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah brilliant - good luck with the training! I was hoping to do a half mara next weekend but hurt my hip - so frustrating. Hoping to maybe do Edinburgh in May instead.

    Personally I prefer winter running, I get so hot my head explodes in the summer. But if you have no-one to run with I can totally understand you not wanting to run in the dark :( A tip for winter running is proper running gloves - they're thin because you'll get hot but they keep the freeze off, and also a hat! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Running in the cold and dark is fine. I was out running at 0610 this morning ;-) My top tips for running a HM. Don't run the distance in advance. If you can run 9 or 10 miles you can run a HM. You will need to refuel at some point during the race as after an hour of running your body will start to tell you so get used to eating something after an hour of running, be that Jelly Babies or some of those horrible gel packs :-(

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails