Saturday, 27 October 2012

Millionaire's flapjack


Millionaire's flapjack 

Millionaire's flapjack

At the weekend I was feeling sorry for myself feeling ill and then I stumbled on Liv's blog post about making Mary Berry's flapjacks . Flapjacks are so easy to make so I decided that I felt up to making some. I also started reminiscing about the best ever flapjacks from a cafe that I used to work in. My boss would never follow a recipe though and would use SO much golden syrup, we got through bucket loads of cartons. The end result was so gooey and sweet, heaven for a sweet-toothed girl like me. So, not content with just making gooey flapjacks, I decided to combine that other favourite, millionaire's shortbread. The end result was so so amazing. Gooey, chewy, chocolatey! Everything you want in a flapjack.

Millionaire's flapjack

Ingredients

250g oats
125g butter
90g golden syrup (and an extra spoonful for good luck!)
90g brown sugar
A tin of carnation caramel
200g milk chocolate

Method

1. Grease and line a 20x30cm baking tray with butter and greaseproof paper. Preheat the oven to 180c. 
2. Melt together in a sauce pan the butter, syrup and sugar. 
3. Mix in the oats to the melted butter mixture and then put the oaty mix into the baking tray and press down and into the corners. 
4. Bake for about 20-30, or until the edges are just turning brown but the mixture is still soft. It's important not to cook it to a crisp because the mixture sets and hardens as it cools down. It must still be soft when you take it out of the oven! 
5. Remove from the oven and leave to cool and set. Remove from the tin. Pour the tin of carnation caramel over the flapjack and spread to cover the whole flapjack. Place the flapjack in the fridge to set the caramel. 
6. Melt the chocolate over a saucepan of water then pour and spread the chocolate over the caramel layer. Place back in the fridge to set the chocolate.  
7. When the chocolate layer is set, cut the flapjack into squares using a large knife dipped into hot boiling water to get through the cold chocolate. Enjoy! 

23 comments:

  1. I'm basically drooling on my keyboard here.... I have a major sweet tooth and this combo sounds like HEAVEN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing this, bookmarking for when I can stand up and bake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two amazing things, together at last!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look a-mazing, going to have to try your version!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh... that' such a good/dangerous idea...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You made me hungry, haha. Lovely pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We make chocolate flapjack for the millionaire's flapjack at the bakery, Its so sickly but amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow they look divine! I love caramel sauce and I haven't had a good flapjack in way too long. I need to make some as they are James fave too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm my two favourite traybakes-combined! I'm definitely going to have a go at making these!! yummy :)
    Rachelle x
    inspiredbytheretired.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH MY GOD. They look incredible. I want one now! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH! These look like heaven!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look soooo good! I don't think I've ever had a flapjack. Must try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. ooh homemade millionare's shortbread/flapjacks are one of my favourites - my mum makes the nicest! autumn just brings out the baker in you doesn't it!
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  14. I jsut let out the biggest excited food groan. These look AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm drooling and I'm not a sweet tooth! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those look so good! Best looking flapjack I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  17. omg!!! these look scrummy! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for sharing the recipe - it looks so yummy! x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I adore flapjacks, I would eve say they are my favourite thing ever and you can't go wrong with Mary Berry, yum. I need to make these

    ReplyDelete
  20. My mouth is literally watering - these look amazing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails