Wednesday, 10 October 2012

Southport Natterjacks Seaside 10k

On Sunday I got my Personal Worst in a 10k - 1hr 8 minutes and 2 seconds. It's weird really because I have done 3 10k races now and I have got slower with each one. I can't make any excuses - I was already making up excuses before I went into the race. I'd been ill which had affected my training, I had a blister, it was too sunny. The only real reason I could find was that I didn't follow my training plan. (Yes, this was partly because I had the flu for a bit but even before that I was slacking off slightly.)

Anyway, in the end I was just relieved to finish the 10k. 6 miles. I have only ever ran this far on race days, but now I will try running it more regularly in training to work towards my half marathon goal. 

UntitledUntitledUntitledUntitled 

So, the race itself (bar my terrible performance) had all the ingredients for a good race. Lovely weather, by the seaside. However, I was a bit disappointed with the course. It was a 2 lap course which in itself was pretty boring and it was such a tight start as there were no road closures so we had to run on the pavement. The route markings were also pretty unclear and as it looped back on itself so often there were times when I thought 'I could easily just turn around and skip out a whole kilometre' but of course I didn't (I would hope I'd be a lot faster than 1hr8 if I did!) The marshalls also didn't exactly look enthusiastic, except for the odd one who would remind you to keep to the right as the winners on their 2nd lap would be coming up shortly to overtake you. I felt like I was going around in circles after a while and I had to run over the same bridge 4 times and each time it hurt my legs a little bit more. I don't think I would enter this again, although the goodie bag was quite good. 

Untitled

Anyway, here's to my next challenge - the half marathon in March! If anything, this race has taught me that I reallyreallyreally need to stick to a training plan. 

17 comments:

  1. Congratulations that is such a great achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, I'm feeling really bad about myself right now. I probably couldn't run one mile. I need to exercise, really :|

    congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg congratulations!!!
    shame of me for not even exercise :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done on finishing even if you didn't do so great. Are you entering the Liverpool Half? I'm thinking of entering too but as part of marathon training. I entered the Manchester Marathon a few weeks ago! I'm thinking I must be a bit mental!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep I've entered the half marathon, think I'm going to do the Liverpool santa dash too. Wow, marathon, you are brave! Good luck with it all :D

      Delete
  5. I can't run for 5 mins so congratulations. Hope all goes smoothly with your prep for the half marathon x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with your half marathon training, don't beat yourself up on the 10k, all of those things sound like valid reasons rather than excuses! I think the trick is just trying to be as consistent as you can be - you'll be fine for your half!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good job! I could never run 10K so I'm pretty impressed :) good luck with training for the half marathon :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. aww well done!!

    from helen at www.thelovecatsinc.com // @thelovecatsinc

    ps. i'm launching a new giveaway to win 30 beauty products tomorrow inc. essie etc. make sure you stop by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awh you should be incredibly proud of your perseverance with running, Helen! I'm not even signed up to a gym anymore. :P Best of luck with your training for the half-maraton. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done on your race! You did fab despite what you may think. Good luck for your half marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. At the end of the day, you have still just run 10k which is amazing! Good luck with the half marathon training!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on finishing, even if it wasn't the time you hoped for. I doubt I could run for an hour! Hope the training goes better for the next race. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done on finishing! I wish I had it in my to even begin training, so I certainly salute you for doing this! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations! The Natterjack 10k in 2006 was my very first 10k, and I actually thought I was going to die before the end of it...but of course I didn't! I remember it being reaaally dull, though - it definitely didn't inspire me to speed along!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations Helen! I was there too and did a similar time to you. There were no t-shirts left - I was gutted! My friends are trying to convince me to do the half marathon too, but I'm too chicken lol! xxx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails