Wednesday, 14 November 2012

Apps for disorganised people

I have a secret. *whispers*. I'm not really a very organised person. I always resolve to keep a diary and once I did manage for a whole year but most of the time I stop by February or end up losing it or forgetting to take it to important places. I make lists in notepads but then lose them when I swap around bags. Post it notes go missing. I'm just not a very organised person. I know this probably comes as a shock to most because I am a librarian, and whilst I enjoy having things in alphabetical order and creating a spreadsheet to keep track of the works Christmas party, I'm really not that organised.

I would say that having my iPhone has dramatically changed how organised I am. It's lucky really, because since I've had my iPhone, my life has also become dramatically busier. Working full time, blogging, doing the housework, doing CILIP north-west things...I don't think I could juggle it all without my iPhone. Here are my top 4 apps for staying organised.

Untitled

1. Clear. £1.49 (it was on special offer for 69p when I bought it).
Clear is a very aesthetically pleasing app that is very simple. You just drag and type things in. When you've done something on your list, you swipe across it and it vibrates and goes to the bottom of the list crossed off. This is very satisfying for someone like me who likes crossing things off lists. (Does anyone else add things to a to do list that they've already done just so they can cross it off? Just me?...oh) You can also have different lists, so the list in the screenshot above is my 'wedding' to do list. I also have a blogging to do list, housework to do list and general errands to do list.


Untitled
2. Calendar.
Ohhh the calendar on the iPhone. I couldn't be without it. I sync my iPhone calendar with my google calendar, so that I can also check it from any computer. I have a few different calendars on the go; a work one, a blog calendar and a personal calendar. I can look at them all together or just select which one I need to focus on at that time. Above is a preview of my blog calendar for last week. As I've been posting more frequently over the past few months, I've found it really handy and I can just jot down ideas and schedule it for a few weeks time before I forget about it and then I always have something to blog about. Anyone else have a blog planner?

Untitled
3. Feedlr.
Feedlr is a really good app for accessing your rss-feeds. I have my google reader synced with it and I read blogs on the go throughout the day, then star the ones that I want to go back to and read or comment on. I find this a really efficient use of time. There are quite a few different apps you can use for this, but I have used this for 2 years and have never had a problem. It does have adverts which don't bother me, but if they bother you you can upgrade to the paid version.


Untitled
4. Notes.
I use the notes to make a note of things that we've ran out of in the house to create an ongoing shopping list. If I did this on paper, the paper would no doubt go missing or I'd forget to take the list to the shops with me but I know that I will ALWAYS have my phone with me! Some might say that we've all become too reliant on our phones, but it has simplified so many things for me.

I honestly don't know how I coped without my iPhone. Although it distracts me in many ways, it has also helped me be more efficient and organised. I've had my phone for just over 2 years now though so it may be time to pay a visit to the Carphone Warehouse and upgrade. Do I stick with Apple or go to Android? I don't know! I am so attached to my iPhone and the apps that I've listed above. Does anyone have any other top apps for organisation to share with me?

*Sponsored post*

17 comments:

  1. Considering you sync these apps with Google, you may like to try Android? :P

    I love using Catch across phone, tablet and computer. It sounds quite similar to Clear.
    Plus, Evernote will always be a firm favourite, especially now with Skitch and Evernote Food.

    And GoogleCalendars will always save me, esp now I have a ~joint~ calendar with the bf so we can see what's going on with each other, when we're home late and what's going on, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I share my calendar with Scott so he can see what my schedule is that week, but he never really looks at it haha. I have thought about switching over to Android cos I use so many Google apps already, but I have an iPod dock too so it seems like I'd be throwing that away if I switched! The samsung galaxy 3 has been enticing me though... hmm. Evernote food sounds ace, I'll have to investigate that!

      Delete
  2. you are super organised! I use pen and paper and jot everything in my diary. So 20th C ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do use the notes section of my iphone q a lot, but not really anything else on there, I have a paper diary which goes everywhere with me so I never use my phone calendar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved using my blackberry for making lists, up until it decided to take a swim in the toilet. I'd love an iphone though, everything seems to work much more smoothly and a big screen is a mega plus when reading/making notes! Plus, you can put them in novelty cases....

    Maybe add 'charge phone' to your to do ;) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I did shortly afterwards! Damn crappy iPhone batteries. (and smart phones in general I think!)

      Delete
  5. I use Pocket Lists - you can colour code them, add icons and synce with other apps. It was 69p when I bought it. I would lost without this app.

    I will check out your top apps, as I love a list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love TeuxDeux for 'to do' lists - it's quite basic and simple but just so pretty! Other than that for me it's notes for shopping lists etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh I love the sound of Clear! Off to check that out. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the notepad best.... But then I forget to look at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same problem with physical notepads though! Hehe.

      Delete
    2. I'm in this category, definitely! I have all of those apps listed above... and used them diligently for about six weeks, never to be used again!

      Delete
  9. My life completely revolves around Evernote and Citymapper. They both keep me organised! I like the look of Feedlr too, I've been meaning to sync my Google Reader to my phone but have yet to find a good app. Thanks for the recommendation :)
    Cx

    www.shoppedanddropped.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this is very useful for me because I'm getting an iphone in a couple of weeks and I also am organizationally challenged. And I love crossing things off lists! It gives me such a sense of accomplishment. ;)
    I'm going to bookmark this post and come back when I've got my new phone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband got me to using Reminders in which we create a Shopping List, and he has our phones connected somehow (he handles the technology), so that he can add things to the shopping list, and it will pop up on my phone, so we don't have to sit down and coordinate!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I ALWAYS write something on my to do list that I have already done, it makes me feel MUCH more motivated!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is me all over! I think it's a Cancerian thing. Like I can organise myself & for instance, start a diary but it will have to be colourful & interesting & perfectly laid out. But I get bored of it/forget about it after a while anyway. I don't know why I bother but at the same time, I neeeeeeeeeeeeed it in my life heheh.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails