Wednesday, 7 November 2012

Bonfire night

Ahh Bonfire Night, the poor British holiday that is now overshadowed by Halloween less than a week before it. I do feel a bit sorry for Bonfire Night. I remember growing up and my childhood best friend would always have a bonfire night party as her house backed onto a field and her father was a carpenter. He would make the MOST amazing guys to burn on the bonfires! Most memorably was the dragon that he made and used ping pong balls for eyes. Well...let's just say that ping pong balls aren't such a good idea on a bonfire. It was pretty amazing though. We would all sit around the bonfire on benches, toasting marshmallows (although I don't even like marshmallows, but I will make an exception for bonfire melted ones) and singing songs. I really miss them! I also remember our local pub would have a bonfire every year and throughout October, people would dump their burnable rubbish in the field, all to go up in flames on the 5th November. I miss bonfires now, as no-one dares have them. Instead, people buy sparklers and mediocre fireworks from the supermarket and have their own little parties or they go to organised displays. We chose the latter, as the local council display is in Sefton Park and it would be rude not to. We wrapped up and walked down to the park in our wellies.

Bonfire night

It is bloody hard to get a good photo of fireworks. Look! Look at our pitiful efforts! 


Bonfire nightBonfire nightBonfire night


Bonfire night

How pretty does the Palm House look in the evening light though? We came home and then I gobbled down some homemade parkin. (Scott didn't as he doesn't like it - he doesn't know what he's missing!) How did you all celebrate bonfire night? 

16 comments:

  1. This looks like a lot of fun, my parents have bonfires fairly regularly and we always cook jacket potatoes in the embers which are so yummy!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I missed fireworks this night as I was working late (boo). Still managed to see a few through a window, although it's not the same as going to the park with everyone. Will need to make up for it at New Year! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous photos! I didn't get to any displays but did watch some through a friend's window! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter and I went round to my friends house where her husband had cooked dinner and her and my daughter could watch the fireworks we'd bought. The kids ended up sitting inside playing board games while we stood outside watching the fireworks. Not doing it again! Kids these days don't know what they're missing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss England and would love to go to this party! No idea what a parkin is :)
    A reader of your blog from Barcelona :)
    Marta

    ReplyDelete
  6. this look so cute, love fireworks

    ReplyDelete
  7. that last pic is gorgeous, I much prefer fireworks to halloween! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never had parkin! Got no idea what it's like :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is really hard to take photos of fireworks. I did on the 4th of July last year, and managed to get a few good ones after many many tries! Mine still didn't look anything like the professional ones. I have a new respect for those photographers. Also, I don't think I've ever had parkin. What is that?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fireworks are SO hard! But I think they turned out good :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love bonfire night! I always go out and watch the fireworks :) I love seeing how excited all the little kids are ^ - ^ x

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is so sad that people don't do their own bonfires anymore! I still really love small organised fireworks night events, like in the village I grew up in. I do miss it now I'm out of the country.
    For some reason, my main memories always involve me burning the top of my mouth on a hot potato, chestnuts or hot chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't been to a fireworks display or bonfire party in years! I love the sound of your night - complete with the pumpkin related food on the evening. Nom!

    ReplyDelete
  14. it has been overshadowed, this makes me sad too as I loooove fireworks displays.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are some great photos of fireworks! Palm house does look beautiful!
    Daniella x

    http://daniella-r.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have to admit, I've always gone to organised displays if I've been to see fireworks, which until more recently always seemed to include the bonfire too, but no longer it seems. I take November 5th celebrations over Hallowe'en ANY day, so much more fun, so much more meaning as Brits, and we do it like nobody else could.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails