Sunday, 18 November 2012

Dining in the dark challenge


A few weeks ago I was invited to a 'blindfold bloggers dining in the dark' challenge at The Living Room in Liverpool. The event was the chance for us to try The Living Room's new winter menus but blindfolded and having to guess what we were eating, guessing what spices were used, what liqueurs were used in the cocktails and naming cheeses. It was harder than expected! I got a dismal 18/40 on the quiz. 

The Living Room  The Living Room

Myself and Alex blindfolded! 

The Living Room

The Living Room 

The Living Room

As we were eating things blindfolded and without seeing them at all, it was pretty hard to get photos of the food! I did manage to snap these though sneakily. The first photo is of the butters they use as accompaniments to the steaks, then a cocktail and the Morocco lamb stew, which was lovely. It was a bit too lightly spiced for me and was lacking in cumin so I didn't guess correctly what the spices were used in it. Highlights for me were the venison shepherds pie and the pork & chorizo burger, I would happily eat them again! (And I guessed correctly what meats were used in them *victory dance*.) More disappointing things included the creme brulee which apparently had coconut in it, but as a passionate hater of coconut, I couldn't taste a single bit of coconut. The texture also wasn't quite right. Overall, we had a great experience at The Living Room and the hosts couldn't have been nicer. Full marks to The Living Room and their PRs for coming up with such an inventive evening for bloggers. It was definitely more interesting than if we had just been given a 3 course meal and it brought out the competitive side in us. The Living Room have a few branches across the country and I would really recommend their burgers, the pork & chorizo one was so delicious and I also spied a few other big burgers being served up to diners and they looked immense! 








6 comments:

  1. Oooh that sounds like *so much* fun! I would love to try something like that! And the coconut bit is too funny :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, sounds like an ideal night out to me. Making me hungry! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohh, our work Christmas dinner is there in Leeds and I'm pretty excited about it. I'm not sure I would be able to eat anything blindfolded though, I would be worried about what I was being given...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so jealous of this! I'd love to try doing this, I bet I would be rubbish though. I'd have to only have veggie stuff too which would be awkward!

    Hope they do something like this again and invite me! haha x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like great fun! I'd love to go to the Dans le Noir restaurant in London which is the same concept but my friends aren't convinced! :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails