Sunday, 11 November 2012

Parkin

Parkin

When I mentioned in my post about bonfire night that I'd made some parkin, a lot of people asked what it is. Well, this is what it is! Parkin is a traditional gingerbread cake from northern England that is usually made around bonfire night. It has treacle, golden syrup, ginger and oats in it. It has quite a strong flavour with the treacle and the ginger together. People say that parkin gets better and stickier the longer you leave it. I made mine on Sunday evening and I found that it had a mellower flavour and slightly stickier texture on the Monday evening but then by Wednesday it had gone slightly dry (may just be because our tupperware was a bit crap and not completely sealed though.). I imagine that it will be lovely warmed up with custard too!

Ingredients

200g butter
1 egg
4 tbsp milk
200g golden syrup
85g treacle
85g light soft brown sugar
100g medium oatmeal (I just used tesco value porridge oats to be honest...)
250g self raising flour
1 tbsp ground ginger

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 160/gas mark 3 and grease&line with parchment a deep baking tray.
2. Melt the syrup, butter, treacle and sugar in a saucepan over a low heat until the butter is melted and sugar dissolved. 
3. Then remove from the heat and stir in the flour, oatmeal and ginger. 
4. Finally, mix the egg and milk together in a small bowl, then add to the cake mixture until it is all combined. 
5. Pour into the baking tray and bake for approx. 40-50 minutes or until the top of the cake is just brown and almost crusty on top. 
6. Leave to cool in the cake tin, then remove from the tin. Slice into squares and store in an air tight container for up to a week. See if it will last that long to see if it gets stickier and tastier! 


20 comments:

  1. Seems delicious, I'll definitely be trying it :) Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love ginger parkin, so nice with custard!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh love the sound of this, might make this on my Christmas week off x

    ReplyDelete
  4. So weird this was an answer in the Sainsbury's magazine haha, (I am a bit of a foodie) may have to try this out. Sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your recipe, shall be making shortly! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh yum, with custard? Yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As soon as you mentioned parkin the other day, I googled it because I didn't know what in the world it was. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never tried parkin but love the sound of porridge oats in a gingerbread. I'm having to fend off urges to make/eat gingerbread everyday at the moment. It's so comforting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooooo yummy bet its good with a dollop of ice cream : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe people don't know what parkin is! Yum yum yum xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love parkin, it reminds me so much of visiting my grandad in Lytham when I was little. I've been thinking of making some now the weather is colder so I'll give this a go :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmm! Thanks for recipe, will definitely try it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmmm! Thanks for recipe, will definitely try it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmmm! Thanks for recipe, will definitely try it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Parkin sounds deee-lish.
    Thank you for the lovely comments on my blog, it means so much, I am glad you enjoy it, I love reading yours for the exact same reasons :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my gosh, they look absolutely moreish! Perfect with a nice cup of tea I reckon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds amaaaazing and I can't wait to try your recipe! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mmmm I love parkin, it reminds me of my childhood as my Grandma usually had some in a tin at all times! I would never have thought of having it with custard though, that I will have to try!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails