Wednesday, 5 December 2012

Checkerboard cake

Checkerboard cake

Checkerboard cake

Checkerboard cake

Checkerboard cake

At the weekend, it was my Dad's birthday and I'd had my eye on this cake recipe since I saw it in the Great British Bake Off recipe book. I was quite please with the way that this turned out. I've never tried one of these cakes with a design hidden inside before, but with this one you just piped the cake batter in rings rather than cutting things out and fiddling that was. It was definitely easier, but the result wasn't 100%. You can see some bits where the checkerboard squares aren't quite square! I am a perfectionist though and I will always pick at my own work.. The overall effect is pretty good though! The sponge was a little bit dry, maybe I slightly overcooked it. The ganache was amazing though, I love icing cakes with ganache. I had a leftover slice the day after warmed up so the icing went runny, with cream poured over the top. Delicious.

If you fancy having a go yourself, have a look at the checkerboard cake recipe.

18 comments:

  1. Ooh Helen, that looks amazing! I'm super impressed with your skill - I see no wonkiness. Bet your Dad loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks amazing! The GBBO really has inspired us all hasn't it?! bet it tasted delicious.. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so clever! I love the touch of glitter on top too, where did you get it from (if you don't mind me asking)? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get my edible cake glitter from cake craft world.com, they do lots of it!

      Delete
  4. My god Helen, I watched that episode of GBBO and thought 'no way could I do that'. Yours is better than the contestants! Seriously think you should enter next year =) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Helen, I just want to shove that cake in my face. Looks almost too good. I can't bake to save my life but I made coconut ice yesterday and everyone in work loved it x

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks so good. I love the hidden design cakes. I really want to have a go at one but I feel like I need a special occasion...although that's never stopped me before :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm ganache! It looks really effective :) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my word. Give me some of that cake - now!

    Were your ears burning today? I was on a course with a Bodleian Librarian, I told her I follow a celebrity librarian blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cake looks amazing! I wish I had the skill to do something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your cake looks fantastic! Piping the batter in rings is a great idea. I made a checkerboard cake once using the cutting out method so it looked a bit wonky but it was a fun surprise for a birthday cake.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Helen this is beautiful - I love cutting into a cake to find there is something going on inside!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That cake looks delish! Love the dusting of glitter too!
    I've sent you an email...may've gone into your Spam??
    Z xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh that's so pretty, and I LOVE The Great British Bake Off! I don't know why I never thought to look up a cookbook from them. Amazon has two-- which one do you have?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails